TEMPORARY SENIOR MANAGER, INTERNAL AUDIT
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Director Corporate Risk, the Temporary Senior Manager, Internal Audit will be responsible for performing complex level internal auditing and Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) work along with supporting the Internal Audit department’s strategic initiatives. Work involves leading or performing corporate level internal audit projects which includes interaction with AltaGas US subsidiaries; providing consulting services to the organization’s management and staff; providing input to development of the annual audit plan; and supporting the Director Corporate Risk in oversight of the SOX compliance program. This includes development and continuous improvement of audit programs, audit processes and procedures to ensure ongoing compliance and efficiency. This position may be asked to assist with finance and technology related audits as well. This individual will also be required to maintain all organizational and professional ethical standards.
This is a temporary position for coverage of a family leave.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform audits related to sensitive areas and Corporate processes which include the US subsidiaries
- Perform audit procedures, including identifying and defining risks and issues, develop criteria, review and analyze evidence, document client processes and procedures, and follow up on audit observations quarterly after the audit has been completed
- Perform interviews, review documents, develop and administer surveys, compose summary memos, and prepare working papers
- Identify, develop, and document audit issues and recommendations using independent judgment concerning areas being reviewed
- Communicate the results of audit and consulting projects via written reports and oral presentations to management and the board of directors
- Develop and maintain productive client and staff relationships through individual contacts and group meetings
- Represent Internal Audit on organizational project teams, at management meetings, and with external organizations. This may involve being part of a specific working committee as a representative of Internal Audit
- Work collaboratively with management to identify required actions needed
- Support the Director Corporate Risk’s oversight of the implementation of the SOX program at AltaGas and its subsidiaries
- Lead and support the creation of an Internal Audit manual, including the development of audit procedures which align with the Institute of Internal Auditors’ International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
- Assist in the preparation of Audit Committee materials and presentations
What you must have:
- A professional accounting designation such as CPA, CA, CMA, or CGA
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and 10+ years of related experience in industry
- Experience in both external and internal audit at both an intermediate and managerial level
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems, and drawing logical conclusions. Ability to negotiate issues and resolve problems
- Considerable skill in effective verbal and written communications, including active listening skills and skill in presenting findings and recommendations
- Ability to apply internal auditing and accounting principles and practices, as well as management principles and preferred business practices
- Skill in conducting quality control reviews of audit work products
- Knowledge of management information systems terminology, concepts, and practices.
- Knowledge of the Institute of Internal Auditors’ International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
- Considerable skill in planning and project management, and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines
- Ability to pay attention to detail while maintaining a focus on the overall objective of the task at hand
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, staff and external contacts, and to work effectively in a professional team environment
- Considerable skill in using a computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries, and analyses. Experience in data analytics considered an asset
- An understanding of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors is an asset
- Certification such as a CIA is considered an asset
- Experience in both Utilities and Midstream industry is considered an asset
Where you’ll be working:
This position will be located in our Head Office in downtown Calgary, AB. To learn more about our organization please visit AltaGas 101.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.