SENIOR DIRECTOR, TOTAL REWARDS
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Senior Vice-President and Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO), this position is responsible for providing strategic expertise and leadership in the design, implementation and maintenance of engaging, competitive, cost-effective and compliant compensation, benefits, pension and savings programs. As a member of the Human Resources Leadership Team, the Sr. Director, Total Rewards works collaboratively with peers across the HR team to ensure effective support to the business through the implementation, sustainment and ongoing improvement of HR processes, technology and services and the achievement of key HR goals and priorities.
The Total Rewards team designs, delivers, and maintains programs that reinforce an engaging, high-performance culture and align with organizational needs and AltaGas’ vision of being a leading North American energy infrastructure company.
What you’ll be doing:
- Architect and execute a competitive, end-to-end Total Rewards strategy that aligns with the AltaGas business strategy and overall talent strategy
- Collaborate effectively with a wide variety of internal stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, company Retirement & Savings Committees; senior management, internal clients, the CHRO, members of the HR Leadership Team, and compensation/benefit team members
- Support the CHRO in the preparation of Total Rewards analysis and materials for executive review and submission to the HR & Compensation Committee
- Leverage knowledge of North American market conditions and competitive talent landscape to design tailored strategies for Total Rewards concerning key talent segments
- Perform complex analysis and development of financial modeling to support decisions surrounding Total Rewards programs; review the mix of benefits offered to employees and assess their effectiveness; make recommendations to vary offerings based on current best practices, cost, and utility of benefits to employees
- Manage and oversee the design, implementation, administration, maintenance, and reporting of executive and equity compensation programs and initiatives
- Direct studies and analyses for business unit or general management, and engage resources such as external consultants, as needed, to inform the resolution of compensation-related questions and issues
- Prepare materials supporting Total Rewards expenditures for rate case recovery
- Evaluate employee recognition approaches based on best practices and employee engagement objectives; recommend enhancements and partner with other People leaders in support of an integrated talent agenda, particularly with respect to recruiting, learning and development, performance management, compensation, and recognition
- Confer with legal team or outside counsel on legal aspects of plan design, administration, or contested cases. Support timely and accurate drafting and submission of legally mandated reports (summary plan descriptions, Form 5500's, etc.)
- Collaborate with benefits providers on renewals or service bids, utilization experience, cost management, and plan design options; review vendors' performance and recommend changes to management
- Oversee Disability Management programs including Short Term and Long-Term Disability and Workers’ Compensation cases
- Plan acquisition and use of resources, tools, platforms and technology solutions for market pricing, compensation offer development, process management and communications
- Report to senior management on the team's production, activities, and efforts; plan and manage the team's budget
- Represent the team as an expert or resource to cross-functional project or coordinating teams
- Coach and develop direct reports and instill a culture of ongoing development for all employees on Total Rewards; ensure effective succession planning
- Responsible for the administration and support of multiple retirement & savings plans, including DC and DB pension plans, 401(k), SERP, company share purchase plan, and voluntary RRSP/TFSA plans
- Lead the development of communications and presentations to promote and educate employees and management on the concept, elements and accountabilities of our Total Rewards programs
- Partner with Payroll, IT and HRIS teams on continuous improvement to technology, administration, development and/or system changes for Compensation and Benefits
What you must have:
- Post-secondary degree in Business required, Human Resources major considered an asset
- CCP and CPHR/SHRM designations would be considered an asset
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive Human Resources experience; including: 7+ years compensation and benefits experience; and 5+ years leadership experience
- Experience in the governance and management of DB and DC and 401(k) plans required
- Experience project managing acquisitions and divestitures, particularly during the due diligence and integration phases
- Experience in preparing HR & Compensation Committee materials, including compensation analysis, proxy and MD&A information
- Strong knowledge and experience in executive compensation
- Demonstrated success in engaging, leading, motivating and empowering a high performing HR team
- Excellent interpersonal skills, works collaboratively with functional, cross-functional and technical teams to build effective working relationships
- Strong knowledge of HR core functional processes and technology
- Strategic perspective, broad thinker able to turn ideas into pragmatic, effective solutions;
- High degree of personal accountability, with strong drive and initiative
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication
- Advanced consultation and partnering skills; able to work with all levels of leadership and build strong relationships based on mutual trust and respect
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, with strong analytical skills and high attention to detail
- Expert level Excel skills required
- HRIS and reporting systems experience required; Workday and Hyperion experience is preferred
- Enjoys working with people, providing excellent customer service and fits into a team environment
Where you’ll be working:
This position may be located in our Head Office in downtown Calgary, AB, Canada or at our office in Washington DC, USA. The final location will be determined at time of hire. To learn more about our organization please visit AltaGas 101.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.
AltaGas hires personnel on the basis of job-related qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to a Person's ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.