Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Manager, Environment, you will be joining a team that provides technical support and regulatory guidance on environmental issues within Midstream and supports and ensures Environmental compliance within Midstream business.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide technical support and regulatory guidance on environmental issues in the Canadian Midstream business unit
- Monitor environment regulatory and policy changes; support evaluation and communication of impacts to the business; support the development of tools that embed and sustain the changes to the business processes
- Provide oversight on environmental risk management and reporting
- Support internal assurance plans, as required
- Support the communication of operational and regulatory developments to impacted stakeholders, as required
- Support the EHS function to promote vision to operations
- Create and ensure environmental work plans and annual goals/targets are on track
- Provide regulatory support to the Midstream regarding permitting of air, noise, land and water. This includes management of contractors, scoping of annual monitoring and working with plant operations to vet contractor work plans
- Manage the environmental conditions at the Midstream facilities, including annual groundwater sampling, annual soil sampling, annual air monitoring, annual waste discharge and annual water runoff reporting
- Lead completion of the EPEA renewals and BC waste discharge permits
- Provide strategic support to Midstream regarding air emissions and GHGs based on regulatory policy at a provincial, federal and corporate level
- Provide strategic support to all Midstream assets on an as needed basis regarding a wide range of air issues including dispersion modelling, air monitoring, air regulation and broad-based air policy interpretation and advice
- Establish and maintain database of dehydrator facilities in Midstream and evaluate compliance with benzene limits in Alberta and BC. This includes regular updates to the benzene dashboard as part of the Benzene Emissions Management Program
- Manage and maintain Fugitive Emission Management Program (BC and AB)
- Selection of contractors
- Scheduling of contractors
- Management of repairs
- Annual reports to the regulator
- Manage methane compliance
- Research, investigate and apply for grant funding opportunities
- Work with operations on implementation of programs and retrofits
- Annual reporting to the regulator
- Management of venting Inventory
- Design, review, execute and update Midstream based GHG strategy
- Collaborate with Internal Stakeholders to assist with implementation of GHG reduction projects within Midstream including finance, supply chain, field operations and senior management
- Assist with general regulatory support as it relates to AER, OGC, Alberta Climate Change Office, Alberta Environment and Parks and other regulatory bodies at the provincial and federal levels
- Support management of ENV program within OMS
- Policy, program and practice development and maintenance
- Environmental assurance and audits
- Continuous improvement
What you must have:
- A degree or technical diploma in environment discipline or equivalent
- Accreditation in an environmental discipline
- A Minimum of 10 years of practical experience in an environmental role
- Previous experience as an Environmental Consultant would be an asset
- Expertise in Environmental Incident Management
- Environmental Monitoring background
- Solid understanding of AER Directives, OGC, EPEA, Pipeline Act and Water Act
- Knowledge of Environmental compliance
- Environmental management system experience (managing, maintaining, improving)
- A strong relationship with the regulators in each jurisdiction
- Highly developed problem solving, analytical, and trouble shooting skills
- Strong ability to communicate ideas
- Ability to work remotely
- Self starter
Where you’ll be working:
This position will be located in our Head Office in downtown Calgary, AB and may require that you travel to remote locations in support of our facilities. To learn more about our organization please visit AltaGas 101.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
AltaGas hires personnel based on job-related qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to a Person's ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.