TEMPORARY LEAD, OPERATIONS AUDIT
Why work at AltaGas?
We’re a leading energy infrastructure company with a footprint in some of North America’s most strategic energy markets. Our strategy is simple: to leverage the strength of our assets and expertise along the energy value chain to connect customers with premier energy solutions – from the well sites of upstream producers to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, and to new markets around the world.
To make this happen, we have a talented team of people who are safely and reliably operating our assets in every corner of North America. We’re incredibly proud of our team and their commitment to act with integrity, strive for operational excellence, and go the extra mile for our customers and the communities we serve. Learn more about our team, vision and strategy.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Internal Audit, this temporary position is responsible for performing complex level operational auditing work. Work involves leading or performing operational and/or compliance audit projects; providing consulting services to the organization’s management and staff; providing input to development of the annual audit plan; and providing training to internal audit staff where appropriate. This includes development and continuous improvement of operational audit programs, audit processes and procedures to ensure ongoing compliance and efficiency. This individual will also be required to maintain all organizational and professional ethical standards.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform audits related to operational and compliance predominantly. However, potential opportunities to assist with finance and technology related audits as well
- Perform audit procedures, including identifying and defining risks and issues, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing evidence, documenting client processes and procedures and following up on audit observations quarterly after the audit has been completed
- Perform interviews, review documents, develop and administer surveys, compose summary memos, and prepare working papers
- Identify, develop, and document audit issues and recommendations using independent judgment concerning areas being reviewed
- Communicate the results of audit and consulting projects via written reports and oral presentations to management
- Develop and maintain productive client and staff relationships through individual contacts and group meetings
- Represent Internal Audit on organizational project teams, at management meetings, and with external organizations. This may involve being part of an operational related working committee as a representative of Internal Audit
- Pursue professional development opportunities, including external and internal training and professional association memberships, and share information gained with co-workers
- Works collaboratively with management to identify required actions needed
- Identify and evaluate the organization’s operational risk areas and provide input to the development of the annual audit plan
- Perform related work as assigned by the Senior Manager(s), Internal Audit and the Director Corporate Risk
What you must have:
- Knowledge of industry program policies, procedures, regulations, and laws. Examples include knowledge in the areas of pipeline integrity, asset management and environmental, health and safety
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems, and drawing logical conclusions. Ability to negotiate issues and resolve problems
- Certification such as a CIA and experience in leading and conducting audits in operational areas pertinent to the industry considered an asset
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and 5+ years of related experience in industry
- Ability to apply internal auditing principles and practices, and management principles and preferred business practices
- Skill in conducting quality control reviews of audit work products
- Skill in analyzing for the root cause of Audit observations
- Knowledge of management information systems terminology, concepts, and practices
- Considerable skill in using a computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries, and analyses. Experience in data analytics considered an asset
- Considerable skill in effective verbal and written communications, including active listening skills and skill in presenting findings and recommendations
- Considerable skill in planning and project management, and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, staff and external contacts, and to work effectively in a professional team environment
- General understanding of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors is an asset
Where you’ll be working:
This position will be located in our Head Office in downtown Calgary, AB. To learn more about our organization please visit AltaGas 101.
Ready to join our team?
If you’d like to be part of a company that invests in its people, always creates opportunities to help them grow and fosters an environment where everyone feels welcome, AltaGas is the place for you!
To apply, submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team by clicking on the button below or visiting www.altagas.ca/careers .
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. At this time, we are not accepting agency referrals or telephone inquiries.