Do you want to make a difference? Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is currently seeking Home Help Workers for Sault Ste. Marie Branch.
Reporting to the Community Services Coordinator, the successful candidates will provide home maintenance services on a regular, occasional or on a one time basis to seniors in the City Sault Ste. Marie. In accordance with the policies and practices of the Community Health Services (CHS), Canadian Red Cross, provides assistance in maintaining a healthy and clean home environment to the vulnerable in their place of residence.
Responsibility 1. Home Management
Performs a variety of housekeeping tasks:
- Changes/makes bed(s)
- Wash floor(s)/wall(s)
- Cleans refrigerator, stove, microwave etc.
- Cleans bathroom(s)
- Cleans cupboard(s)/closet(s)
- Wash window(s), ensuring that feet remain flat on floor
- Washes Dishes
Responsibility 2. Laundry Duties
Performs laundry tasks in accordance with established care plan:
- Washes/Dries clothing
- Folds and puts away clothes
Responsibility 3. Maintains a Safe Environment
Promotes a safe environment for both the client and worker:
- Implements infection control measures (e.g. routine practices)
- Safely operates and maintains equipment
- Handles and stores hazardous products safely (WHMIS)
- Maintains comfort and safety of client’s immediate environment
- Identifies and reports any unsafe or hazardous equipment and situations
- Takes measures to ensure personal safety
Responsibility 4. Reporting and Communication
Observes and reports any changes or problems related to the client or client’s environment to the immediate Supervisor in a timely manner:
- Reports any requests for change(s) to the care plan by the client and/or family members or other service providers
- Seeks prior approval from immediate Supervisor before initiating any changes in the care plan
- Identifies conditions/situations which require assistance and reports to Supervisor
- Recognizes importance of observing behaviours
- Demonstrates objectivity and descriptiveness in reporting
- Understands and uses terms and abbreviations including metric and the 24 hour clock, where applicable
- Verbally and non-verbally:
- interacts one-to-one with client with/without language barriers, sensory deficits
- validates individual’s communication
- verbalizes recognized changes
- seeks direction appropriately
- reports daily activities and/or observations as appropriate
- participates in team conferencing as appropriate
- In writing:
- documents care given as appropriate
- follows directions of care plan
- Adapts communication to best meet the needs of client while promoting client’s sense of security, dignity, independence and control
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s needs including physical, social, emotional, spiritual and cultural
This is a general overview of the position and other duties may be added per Community Health Services policies and procedures.
The minimum qualifications for this position include some secondary school education and up to one year of experience in household management. Interpersonal skills typically gained through daily living skills acquired in caring for the household management needs of a family, elderly, disabled or ill family member. Demonstrates fundamental abilities:
Participates as a member of the core/support team:
carries out tasks, accepts assignments, completes assignments
time management skills: plans workload, balances multiple demands on time
follows care plan
does not exceed the boundary of the therapeutic/professional relationship
acknowledges limitations: keeps within role and knowledge base
Demonstrates acceptable work habits
able to manage stress
interacts well with others
maintains professional appearance
maintains confidentiality of information about clients, caregiver/family and CHS.
The work is performed in the homes of those living in the P6A postal code. Local travel to clients within Sault Ste. Marie area is required. This is a casual position, where work will be available on an “as needed” basis.
Please note that there is no relocation package for this position.
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record, reference check, valid provincial driver’s license, and First Aid certification (training provided.) The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We kindly ask not to send in duplicate copies of your resume. No phone calls please.
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process