The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Site Manager for our PHAC Isolation Hotel for a temporary 3 month contract.
The incumbent of this position supervises and coordinates the work of the entire site, which may involve several services. Reporting into the Sr. Manager , Emergency Management, they oversee the team’s planning and organizing, as well as overall quality of the services delivered on site .
Who you are:
- You possess strong leadership skills – give clear instructions and delegate, make informed decisions, able to problem solve, provide coaching and feedback to volunteers, support team environment
- You can resolve conflict, which includes active listening, mediation/negotiation, develop solutions and options with a win/win approach, appropriate assertiveness toward problem, managing emotions
- Your communication is clear, concise, confident and you have the ability to influence others
- You work well within a team and are respectful, approachable and build strong relationships within a team
- You are calm during a crisis and don’t allow emotions to get in the way, don’t take things personal, stay positive, respond decisively and take accountability.
You will enjoy:
Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality
Opportunity: to work with the best and brightest in the non-profit field, in an environment that promotes continuous learning, creativity and collaboration
Meaningful Work: you and your team will provide care and comfort services to travelers returning to Canada who are required to self-isolate.
In this role you will:
- Lead the ERT team, providing direction and coordination for the day to day management of site activities;
- Oversee the delivery of all services on site;
- Brief and debrief ERT supervisors;
- Lead coordination meetings with ERT supervisors;
- Ensure compliance and provide ongoing feedback to ERT Supervisors during a response based on the Technical Standards and the National Disaster Assistance Guidelines
- Provide timely formal and informal performance feedback to volunteers that report directly to the Site Manager
- Develop a site service delivery plan
- Assume overall responsibility for the financial management, logistics and HR management of the site, as required;
- Liaise and coordinate with other agencies providing services on site;
- Ensure services are addressing assessed immediate, short and long-term client needs.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for the security, health and safety of the personnel and clients;
- Elaborate and regularly review the site security plans, in close collaboration with the Operations Manager or the site managers designated supervisor and the ERT Supervisors as per Red Cross Technical Standards;
- Ensure that safety guidelines and procedures are in place and well understood and abided by all responders;
- Ongoing assessment and analysis of data including shelter population, demographics, potential area of conflict, etc.
- Monitor the Operations site capacity/needs and quality according to the changing context of the operation (material, financial and human resources), in collaboration with the Operations Manager or the site manager’s designated supervisor and overall team as appropriate, based on scale of operations;
- Report regularly on site activities, statistics and issues according to Technical Standards;
- Evaluate the quality of delivery of services to people and the efficiency of the ERT Supervisors after a response;
- Make recommendations on transition, handover strategies as needed;
- Participate in the operational debriefing;
- Ensure appropriate close of business and operations, as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain regular communications with the local authorities and relevant stakeholders;
- Represent or ensure appropriate representation of the CRC in coordination meetings, as appropriate;
- Represent the CRC with media and other organizations, if required;
- Contribute to a healthy and safe working environment;
- Perform other duties, as required.
We’re looking for:
- Completion of College Diploma in a relevant field and/or equivalent experience;
- Minimum 1-3 years experience supervising a team;
- Minimum experience of one response operations in a leadership role (example- ERT Supervisor);
- Understanding of Red Cross role in disaster response, relief and recovery;
- Commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement;
- Computer literacy, mandatory
- Language requirements vary – responders must be able to deliver services as appropriate
- Project Management Skills including budget - developing project charters, planning, scheduling, supply management, risk assessment, budgeting, change management, and project control
- Attention to detail - accuracy in completing forms, giving information, completing necessary paperwork
- Possible stressful rapidly changing environments with limited information to make decisions have the potential to affect the physical and psychological state of the responders on site.
- The incumbent may need to stand for several hours.
- The incumbent may need to lift up to 20 kg of relief supplies
- Ability to respond during non-traditional hours (i.e. late night or weekends) and long hours of work in a demanding context.
- Ability to be on-call when scheduled, as required.
- Incumbent must pass health attestation process
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.