Make an Impact on Seniors Health!
We provide care and independence to our residents, using a client- and family-centered approach that incorporates the most current research into practice. When you choose to join SE Health, you become part of a diverse and collaborative care team where you’ll apply your skills – and your heart – to provide services that support our residents to live and age well. You’ll make a difference in their lives, and they’ll make a difference in yours! This position would be for our facility in Calgary Millrise Seniors Living located at 14911 5 Street SW Calgary, Alberta, T2Y 5B9: https://seniorsliving.sehc.com/locations/millrise
Internal candidate can apply no later than July 11, 2022
Why join our team?
- Develop yourself with SE. We have education bursaries, Tuition Assistance Programs, continuing education, training, and professional development to support your life-long learning. You'll benefit from our orientation, mentorship, and coaching programs. And our leadership team will support you to practice to full scope, to integrate the most current evidence into your practice, and are fully available to you 24x7 to support you in delivering the best possible care to your patients.
- Empowerment. At our facilities, our nurses are provided with a full degree of autonomy of practice, provide clinical leadership to our multi-disciplinary team every day, and are supported with leading-edge training related to Palliative and aging.
- Grow your career. SE health is a large national organization with diverse healthcare business lines. You’ll have an opportunity – and will be supported – to do different types of roles in different locations if that is what you’re interested in. Or you can pivot to supporting or leadership positions where you can use your nursing skills to contribute and make an impact in different ways.
- Innovative. At SE we are always looking for new innovative ways to improve. You’ll be encouraged and supported to identify and make improvements to the way we do our work. As a social enterprise we support research into Senior’s Health and Aging. You’ll have the ability to be part of this research firsthand, to learn from it, and will be supported to integrate that research into your practice.
- Competitive compensation . Our Total Rewards package includes a competitive salary, group benefits, RRSP pension, and exclusive perks/discounts available only to SE Health staff.
Under the direction of the Support Services Manager and/or designate, the Cook is responsible for the daily preparation of all foods for residents, guests and employees from an assigned menu, ensures safe food handling methods are followed, maintenance of a safe & sanitary workplace and inventory control.
Include but not limited to:
- To prepare and / or be responsible for the preparation / delivery of all foods for residents, guests and employees
- To review menus and production sheets before preparing
- To ensure use of proper food handling techniques
- To complete daily temperature audits for fridge, freezers and storerooms and record findings on daily audit form.
- To prepare and serve foods for therapeutic / specialty diets according to planned menus
- To make menu substitutions as necessary and record these in the designated place.
- To adhere to time schedules for service of meals and nourishments
- To follow daily production charts, standardized recipes and daily composite menus, while working within a set budget
- To participate actively in planning /preparing special occasion and theme meal days.
- To attend department and facility staff meetings, in – services and other necessary training sessions
- To be aware of the Resident Rights & Responsibilities and endeavor to respect and promote it.
- To uphold and promote the organization’s values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, morality and integrity as set out in Retirement Concepts Code of Conduct
- Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the Facility.
- Assists the Executive Chef, Head Chef or Lead Cook in organizational planning related to Food Services by providing input and participating in the implementation of menus, schedules and other initiatives to ensure a high standard of Food Services.
- Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents and the public.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Grade 12; or equivalent.
- Must possess a Food Handler’s Certificate
- Red Seal Certificate preferred
- Must have experience in large quantity food preparation, preferably in a healthcare or retirement setting
- Must be knowledgeable of the Provincial Food Premises regulation and Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating
- Must have knowledge of and experience with special and therapeutic diets
- Minimum of 3-4 years culinary experience in hotels, restaurants or institutions required.
- Food Safe Certificate - Level 2 preferred.
- Serving it Right certification an asset.
- Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards.
- All successful applicants must pass the vulnerable sector Criminal Record Check applicable to Provincial guidelines.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- An aptitude toward detail and creativity.
- Demonstrate good planning and organizational skills and ability to delegate.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision
- Ability to read and write the English language in order to function appropriately within a kitchen environment (recipes, food audits, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience when working with staff and residents.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and portion sizes.
- Sufficient manual dexterity of and in order to use all kitchen utensils and equipment, i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry 50 lbs. repetitively.
About SE Health:
At SE, we love what we do. Every day, we bring hope and happiness to clients, homes, and communities across Canada. We treat each person with dignity and love, like our own family; we build empathy; and we do the right thing. We are always inspired to make a difference. As a not-for-profit social enterprise, we share knowledge, provide the best care, and help each client to realize their most meaningful goals for health and wellbeing. We’re a great place to work, and we hope you’ll join our team.
SE Health is committed to the success of all its employees. If you feel you need accommodations because of illness or disability, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources at HumanResources@sehc.com at your earliest convenience.
SE Health is monitoring the global COVID-19 pandemic closely and following all public health directives, including recommendations from the World Health Organization, Government of Canada, and federal and provincial health authorities. Our top priority is the health and safety of our clients, their families and our staff.
Please note that due to the unprecedented circumstance of the Global Pandemic and the resultant public health crisis; and in the interest of the health and safety of our patients/clients, employees, and greater good of public health, SE Health requires those that wish to work for this organization to be fully vaccinated Fully vaccinated means a person has received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine and it has been 14 days since the last
Please apply online firstname.lastname@example.org