The Performance Engineer is responsible for leading high priority improvement initiatives to solve the systemic issues contributing to program delays and overspend. The position will support initiatives across the business, including but not limited to: Operations, Engineering, Supply Chain, Planning, and Program Management. This may include facilitating process changes and development, performing assessments and root cause analysis, lessons learned capture, and the application of lean manufacturing and design for production.
- Leads and delivers improvement projects as assigned including collaboration with relevant stakeholders, communication of progress and results, monitoring effectiveness, and ensuring sustainability.
- Performs assessments, root cause analysis, strategic business analysis, and project planning to prioritize and initiate improvement projects, both internally and in support of other departments.
- Supports the delivery of initiatives led by other departments, in particular high priority projects requiring cross-departmental support.
- Shares and promotes performance improvement best practice with other employees and managers to develop skillsets and facilitate a continuous improvement culture.
- Supports the development, implementation, and sustainment of the shipyard’s improvement processes and systems.
- Researches, evaluates, and implements current industry best practice methods, procedures, and technology, as relevant to assigned projects.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical background and/or experience is strongly preferred
- 5 or more years post-secondary experience working in an Engineering related position with a strong interest in manufacturing
- Prior experience in manufacturing is strongly preferred
- Lean Green Belt and/or Six Sigma training
- Working towards a P.Eng. certification is preferred
- Prior experience in shipbuilding/heavy manufacturing is desirable.
- Project Management Certificate (PMP) is desirable
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Technical knowledge and engineering skills
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and facilitation skills.
- High degree of tenacity, self-motivation, and innovation.
- Ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical problems.
- Excellent analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesise data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills including the ability to produce and present clear technical specifications, presentations, procedures, and reports.
- Knowledge of process improvement techniques.
- Good understanding of organizational change management.
- Good understanding of project management techniques.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Good organizational skills including the ability to maintain organization in a changing environment, multi-task and establish priorities.
- PC proficiency required. Advanced knowledge of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of group technology, lean manufacturing, and process analysis tools and methodologies.
- Working knowledge of CAD software, specifically ShipConstructor and ACAD software, engineering drawings, document control systems and databases.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.