The Senior HR Business Partner is responsible for implementing and executing human resource initiatives and projects for assigned client groups, including performance management, organizational effectiveness, workforce planning, compensation, training and recruitment. This role is also accountable for driving key initiatives and projects in areas such as organization design and annual succession planning. The role reports to the Director, Human Resources.
- Responsible for providing HR support to designated client groups and managers, primarily in respect to the implementation of core HR processes, performance management, organizational effectiveness, workforce planning, compensation, training and recruitment.
- Implement and execute human resource management initiatives that will help designated client groups to achieve their business priorities and carry out the vision and mission of Seaspan.
- Serve as a liaison between all human resources functions, managers and employees.
- Collaborate with business unit managers to achieve optimal performance, promote employee engagement and identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Advise, support and coach managers and employees in the interpretation and application of human resources-related policies and processes.
- Represent HR in workforce planning sessions at the business unit level and support managers with the development of hiring plans and recruitment strategies.
- Responsible for case management of workplace investigations under Seaspan’s Respect in the Workplace Policy.
- Partner with the Employee Relations (ER) team to ensure legal and regulatory compliance by transferring necessary documentation and investigation reports to ER for resolution.
- Act as a role model within the HR Team.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A degree in Human Resources Management or Business Administration with a minimum of 8 years of work experience in a professional HR role.
- 8+ years of work experience as an HR Business Partner or Senior HR Generalist role, including work experience in a unionized environment and prior performance management and succession planning experience preferred.
- CPHR designation or equivalent considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious communication and interpersonal relationships with all stakeholders.
- Demonstrates a strong decision-making ability that integrates the strategic aims of HR with the business priorities of Seaspan.
- Strong knowledge of federal and provincial legislation including the Canadian Human Rights Act, Employment Equity Act, Canada Labour Code, and Employment Standards Act.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Knowledge of HR best practices in compensations, performance management, succession planning, training and recruitment.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to discreetly handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.