Reporting to the VSY Environmental Coordinator, this positon is accountable for the daily operation of the VSY Waste Water Treatment Plant, ensuring that all permit requirements are met and that all equipment and systems are operated to Seaspan standards.
- With guidance from the Environmental Coordinator, ensure that the plant is operated in full compliance with Federal, Provincial and Municipal regulations
- Perform calibration, care and cleaning of analytical equipment
- Perform in-house analytical testing to confirm compliance with permit discharge requirements
- Identify and classify waste water delivered to the plant for treatment. Perform in-house analytical testing of received waste water to ensure compliance with permit requirements
- Monitor inspection and maintenance program for all plant equipment
- Maintain operational and performance records including analysis, flows, discharge quality testing, water receipt testing, chemical usage and other logs as required
- Participate in hazardous waste program, ensure compliance under Ministry of Environment approved Operational Plan. Assist with identifying, classifying, segregating and packaging hazardous materials for appropriate disposal
- Participate in internal and external audits
- Available to respond in the event of an emergency at the plant outside of regular work hours, i.e. alarms, spill response
- Monitor the delivery of chemicals and complete required documentation
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Work with labourers in the plant to set work priorities, scheduling and problem solving as required
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge and experience in operating, troubleshooting, and maintenance of plant equipment - pumps, piping, electrical systems, and monitoring equipment
- Basic knowledge of operating systems as related to Waste Water Treatment
- Ability to use a variety of software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) for reporting, analyzing, and record keeping
- Ability to perform or direct laboratory tests on water supplies and plant processes to optimize quality and plant performance
- Sound knowledge of safety practices, procedures, and occupational hazards in an industrial environment and the ability to react promptly and effectively in emergencies
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position; willingness and ability to work on a variable shift; ability to be on standby
- Valid Level 5 BC driver’s license
- Certification in TDG and WHMIS 2015
- Experience in handling industrial and hazardous waste
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.