The BTS Business Analyst works exclusively with business system related projects, which will vary in size, duration and complexity. Using a variety of facilitation and interview techniques, the Business Analyst will guide business stakeholders through the discovery, identification and documentation of business outcomes, process design, and business & functional requirements for new systems or functionality.
A service-oriented leader and an expert communicator, the Business Analyst has a strong bias for detail, team collaboration and implementing systems that ensure strong user adoption and business outcomes.
- Develop sustainable, repeatable and quantifiable business process improvements.
- Collect and analyze process data to initiate, develop and recommend business practices and procedures that focus on increased productivity, reduced cost and enhanced customer service.
- Gather, analyze, and document business, functional, reporting and technical requirements using techniques such as interviews, site visits, surveys, document analysis, workshops, process analysis.
- Facilitate the chartering of new initiatives by working with business leaders to help them articulate their objectives and desired business outcomes, and to define scope.
- Develop artifacts such as Business Requirements Document, Functional Requirements, Technical Requirements, Process Flow Diagrams, Gap Analysis, and Use Cases to effectively convey requirements.
- Work with Business Stakeholders, Operations Teams, Technical SMEs, External Vendors and Leadership to ensure that the solution provided align with the business requirements and business objectives.
- Perform process and gap analysis to ensure compatibility and interoperability of processes and systems.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders to achieve project goals and provide continued best practice support to leaders to ensure successful adaptation of the initiative.
- Support the user acceptance testing and facilitate the feedback to External Vendor as part of the iterative solution development process.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems, and other post-implementation support.
- Provide orientation and inputs into process and system training material.
- Perform continued evaluations of end user adoption and work with end users to identify opportunities for business process improvements.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or completion of a Post-secondary Diploma in Computer Science.
- A minimum of 5 years related work experience (systems analyst, business analyst, design, application development and/or technical support) with proven ability to lead a business team through a process and systems change.
- Demonstrated experience in eliciting requirements for at least one core operations process such as order to invoice, procure to pay, inventory management, safety or quality management, or asset and personnel scheduling.
- Experience from a transportation / logistics industry is an asset but not a must.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- As a natural and self-driven team player, fosters a friendly, team-oriented workplace where employees work safely and productively together.
- An expert communicator with strength in collaboration and relationship building, maintains a healthy, open and trusting workplace, with integrity and accountability.
- With a passion for service excellence and business enablement, proven ability to deliver on work products that provide measureable business benefit.
- A detailed understanding of how business works, and continually develops business acumen through learning and training.
- Proven skills in the development of business requirements, functional requirements, technical requirements, process flows, gap analyses and use cases. Formal methodology training in these areas is an asset.
- Proven experience with business process redesign, including development of as-is and to-be states.
- Good knowledge of Change Management, Project Management and Process Improvement principles.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.