The Detail Planner – Piping & Mechanical is responsible for developing detailed plans, schedules and work packages for Production Trades with a focus in the fabrication and issuance of pipe spools. The role requires the development, scheduling and budgeting of work packages that integrate material and labour resources in support of program milestones and financial goals, and the cross functional coordination of material and schedule. This role reports to the Manager of Detail Planning and Production Control.
- Utilizes build strategy output (block breakdown, erection sequence, zone definition, and block, grand block and test strategies) to develop detailed production and testing work packages for all production trades.
- Implementation of vessel work breakdown structure in accordance with defined build strategy to establish cost accounts.
- Develops production work packages that include production information, material lists, and work instructions required for production execution.
- Coordinates trade input into work instructions and work packages to reflect preferred production methods and processes.
- Schedules production work packages within windows defined by the Program office (milestone, key event and zone schedules) to ensure Production and Program are aligned and in sync.
- Budgets production work packages based on contract estimates and historical trade performance to create baselines for production work.
- Develops, schedules and budgets warehousing work packages with dates for kitting release to the warehouse and for delivery to production.
- Input of work package schedules and budgets into VSY’s MRP system to support the collection of data for the cost accounts.
- Develops the vessel’s material ordering schedule with dates for technical information in support of the design schedule and in-yard equipment need dates.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is preferred. Trades Certificate combined with sufficient employment experience may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in planning and/or production control at a large manufacturing firm, preferably in the shipbuilding industry.
- Certification by an accredited society in Planning, Production Control and/or Project Management is highly desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of shipbuilding operations with a detailed understanding of the relationship between procurement, design, production and test operations.
- Proficiency working with independent planning systems including Primavera P6 (preferred) and Microsoft Project.
- Proficiency working with CAD/CAM software suite including ShipConstructor (preferred) and AutoCAD.
- Experience using an ERP system in a large manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of EVMS principles and their application in monitoring, reporting and controlling work activities.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a key team member.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.