The General Supervisor – Trades Workforce Development for Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) is responsible for the recruiting, training, and career development of journey persons and apprentices. The role is responsible for developing and implementing recruitment and training programs that will ensure production supervisors are supplied with adequate numbers of trade employees with the training and skills required for the areas in the shipyard in which they are assigned. The incumbent will also be responsible for developing and implementing apprentice training programs and scheduling apprentice rotations throughout the shipyard to develop apprentices into well rounded journey persons. To ensure standards are met, they will regularly check on performance of newly on-boarded trades employees and apprentices, conduct performance management tasks, schedule and facilitate required training either on or offsite and ensure the collective agreement is applied appropriately.
The position reports directly to the Manager, Steel Trades and has significant interaction with Production General Supervisors and Production Stage of Construction/Area Managers.
- Participates in the recruitment of journey persons and apprentices through local unions, subcontractors, and training facilities throughout British Columbia and other Canadian provinces.
- Develops pre-employment, post-employment, and career development training programs for tradespeople and apprentices working in specific areas, or on specific projects within the shipyard.
- Ensures an adequate mix of tradespeople with required skills and qualifications in specific areas or on specific projects.
- Develops and instructs internal trade specific training courses.
- Conducts and validates certifications, refresher courses, and/or recertification training for trade specific training courses in specialized/technical disciplines.
- Develops criteria for evaluating effectiveness of training activities.
- Works collaboratively with business unit subject matter experts on the development of new materials, instruction methods, and program emphasis to improve program performance.
- Participates and represents Vancouver Shipyards in trade shows, recruitment conferences and process improvement conferences to ensure best shipyard practices are being utilized at VSY.
- Implements and enforces Seaspan's health, safety, environmental and quality processes on the shop floor.
- Develops and implements solutions to technical trade issues as identified by management
- Partners with management to ensure trade employees have the skills, equipment, training and certifications required to perform planned work activities.
- Works with management to eliminate inefficient work practice and fully use their work crew experience and skills to progress the work.
- Assists in the allocation of qualified trades employees in accordance with schedule and priorities.
- Follows and enforces the collective agreement and management practices to manage trades employees effectively.
- Ensures all employees are provided with a work environment that is respectful and harassment free.
- Works with closely Wellness and Abilities Management as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing (welding, metal fabrication, forming, manual and automated burning) is necessary
- Trades certification in Shipfitting or Red Seal in Welding.is required
- Minimum 5 years of related trades work experience in a new construction shipyard or marine Industry preferred.
- Recent supervisory experience is required.
- Previous training/teaching experience an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient with MS Office products and web based applications.
- Possess excellent management and leadership skills and the ability to motivate and work with and through others to achieve desired results.
- Appreciates and understands the value of diversity within a team.
- Conflict resolution and negotiations skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bring a problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches and priorities involving others.
- Experience in the application of behavioural based safety.
- Demonstrates ability to make mature and timely job site decision.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.