The Quality Assurance Representative - Engineering (QA Rep Eng) is accountable for the administration and compliance of the Engineering team, including Tier 1 design firms, to the Quality Management System (QMS) within Vancouver Shipyards. This includes ongoing assessment of the Systems Engineering (SE) processes to ensure suitability and that it continues to meet the objectives of the Seaspan (SMC) Quality Policy and the ISO 9001:2000 requirements.
- Coordinates and develops the Quality Assurance (QA) processes within the VSY SE, Detail Design, 3D modeling, and MI functions. Ensures compliance with the QMS within the Vancouver Shipyards by monitoring, reporting, and administering actions which prevent the occurrence of non-conformities, tracking and verifying corrective actions, and reporting on the performance of the quality system to SMC management
- Assesses non-conformances and coordinates with engineering personnel to correct the process or amend system procedures to correct any non-conformity.
- Establishes and maintains baseline engineering and subcontracted engineering quality metrics and coordinates reporting with VSY overall quality metrics.
- Verifies engineering compliance with internal and external change processes
- Coordinates the quality awareness training for engineering personnel and ensures that training is conducted in a frequent and informative manner
- Coordinates and implements ISO 9001:2000 or departmental quality compliance audits. Creates audit plan for engineering and design subcontractors.
- Conducts quality assurance inspections and witness’s performance tests. Documents results and is responsible for the preservation of data.
- Validates that requirements verification process is followed.
- Validates Tier 1 subcontractor QA process are being followed and works with stakeholders to align with VSY processes.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education supplemented by diploma in Quality Management Systems, or an equivalent amount of relevant education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years experience in engineering or manufacturing environment
- Shipbuilding experience preferred
- A Qualified Auditor certification is required
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstration of exemplify business ethics, integrity and honesty in all situations
- Excellent knowledge of the requirements of ISO 9000 and the SMC Quality Assurance policies and procedures
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Flexible and adaptable to changing situations and work environments
- Demonstrates initiative, active listening skills, and is action/result-oriented
- Ability to collaborate with teams and focus people’s energy and attention on bringing various priorities together to achieve set goals and objectives
- Excellent technical, analytical, presentation, organizational, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates tact, diplomacy, and creative problem solving abilities
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.