The Director, Contract Compliance, Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) is a key business partner to the VSY management team, providing advice and guidance on contractual and commercial matters, in particular to compliance with corporate governance on commitment approvals, as well as specific matters pertaining to the Intellectual Property Rights, Security Requirements and Export Control Requirements.
As a key member of the management team, the Director, Contract Compliance, will play an important role in the deployment of commercial processes, tools and resources to ensure adherence to contractual requirements and corporate governance by VSY personnel and its subcontractors. This role will balance multiple competing priorities and tasks with efficiency, diplomacy and good judgment.
- Compliance and protection of Seaspan’s intellectual property (IP) used or acquired through supplies or services. This will include working with Supply Chain Management to develop bespoke terms and inclusion of appropriate terms from the prime contracts in subcontracts and purchase orders.
- Coordinate with internal departments (Program Management, Engineering, Supply Chain Management and Contracts Management) to ensure Seaspan’s interest in IP is protected, third party IP is acquired with unlimited rights whenever possible, and all IP required to be delivered to the Navy and Coast Guard is properly marked.
- Review and coordinate Security requirements of prime contract for inclusion in request for quotes, subsequent subcontracts or purchase orders. Work with internal departments to ensure proper markings on statements of work, determining classifications, flow down requirements and vetting of suppliers for compliance.
- Ensure compliance with ITAR requirements. Work with internal departments to identify applicability of ITAR requirements for procurement of supplies and services. Support in the development of statements of work that clearly identify the need to obtain an export license for providing supplies and services to Seaspan.
- Establish a Compliance Review Board for issues related to IP, Security, Import/Export, Risk and other significant issues that impact the successful execution of Seaspan’s government contracts. Develop policies/procedures/guidance for compliance. Special Projects as assigned.
- Commercial review of transactions and pre-clearance of documentation pertaining to commitment approval requests for major contracts & subcontracts.
- Provide SME advise and training to VSY and Subcontractor representatives regarding implement IP requirements in compliance with prime contracts.
- Ensure regular auditing and reviewing of IP requirements, providing status reports to Project Management Office. Work with VSY and Subcontractor representatives to identify non-conformances with IP requirements (prior to formal submissions to Canada).
- Maintain and update IP Management Plans and comply with requirements therein (e.g. provide and track IP briefings to project members.)
- Attend internal department meetings to provide guidance and direction on IP Management and address arising issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Master university degree in Business, Legal or equivalent required.
- 15+ years of progressive commercial and contracts experience with demonstrated extensive knowledge of laws, regulations, processes and procedures relating to contractual and regulatory requirements associated with intellectual property, security and ITAR compliance.
- Senior expertise in negotiation & delivery of complex procurement transaction (>$100m)
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Strong leadership, people management, communication, and interpersonal skills, combined with strong business acumen.
- Demonstrated abilities to work closely with an operations management team.
- Critical thinker with the ability to analyze contracts, projects and forecasts, to evaluate financial risk.
- Creative problem solver who can relate to broader business issues. Takes an active interest in the business.
- Willing to spend time with each area to gain first-hand insight into the business.
- Team builder who develops an environment where staff members, colleagues, and business partners are empowered, encouraged, and rewarded for their contributions and performance.
- Excellent presentation skills, ability to analyze and interpret commercial data for the management team in a clear and concise manner.
- Positive, goal-oriented individual with a sense of urgency.
- Sets high standards and can manage both detail as well as big picture issues.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and Encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.