Reporting to the Manager, Financial Reporting, the Junior Accounting Analyst supports the accounting and reporting responsibilities. The role will include month-end entries, account reconciliations, monitoring of accounts, preparing accruals, analysis of results, financial reporting, and project support. This position supports all aspects of operational finance & accounting within the division.
- Prepares, calculates and records month-end accounting entries including revenue, cost, balance sheet, and amortization journal entries and accruals;
- Assists with the preparation of month-end operational reports;
- Reviews and analyses accounts and results, which includes engaging with business leaders to understand current state and operational requirements, identifying their needs and supporting their financial analysis including budgeting, monthly reporting, and forecasting;
- Reconciles the prepaid, WIP, Inventory and AR accounts for operating businesses;
- Reconciles accounts to sub-ledgers;
- Analyzes account balances at month-end and prepares variance explanations;
- Other accounting and financial duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Accounting diploma or Accounting/Finance degree preferred
- Professional designation: CPA (CA,CMA,CGA) or working towards a professional designation.
- A minimum of 1 years’ work experience in Finance and Accounting. This includes experience in financial reporting, close process, and accounts analysis.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge and experience in Canadian ASPE GAAP and related financial reporting requirements;
- Strong knowledge in month-end close process;
- Knowledge in ERP and MRP (JDE or equivalent) Business Systems;
- Proficient in MS-Office (Excel /Word/Outlook/PowerPoint/Visio)
- Strong presentation Skills (internal & external)
- Adaptability and open to change;
- Ability to work well under pressure, problem solve and multi-task;
- Customer service orientation, self-starter and initiative driven;
- Good business acumen; and
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.