As a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlas Corp. (NYSE: ATCO), Seaspan Corporation delivers on the company’s core strategy as a leading asset management and core infrastructure company. The Atlas Corp. and Seaspan teams are goals-driven and share a high-performance culture, focusing on building service offerings. Seaspan provides many of the world’s major shipping lines with alternatives to vessel ownership by offering long-term leases on large, modern containerships combined with industry leading ship management services. Seaspan’s fleet has evolved over time to meet the varying needs of our customer base. We own vessels in a wide range of sizes, from 2,500 TEU to 14,000 TEU.
The Director, Maritime Technology leads the technology development efforts responsible for the research and development of Seaspan’s various maritime technology projects and departmental team members as allocated from time to time. The function includes vessel performance assessment with a focus on supporting commercial contract compliance and customer relations support. This position works cooperatively and collaboratively with other managers to ensure timely, risk-averse, and consistent technology and development project management, particularly with the Director, Asset Integrity within the P&T team. The Director will support and be influential in the development of the solutions to the strategic goals setting of the company and of the P&T Department. The Director also acts as deputy to the Vice President, Projects and Technology.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management and execution of the various technology projects, and for the planning, control, and reporting of related project budgets
- Maintains professional relationships and official and non-official communication with managers and team members
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with external parties in support of an enhanced technology outlook, and in support of Seaspan’s peer to peer contacts within our customer base and other external stake holders
- Helps develop contracts, specifications and makers list, plan approvals and with the management of the new build projects
- Monitors products and performance of manufactures that provide fleet equipment and services
- Responsible for development and execution of the technology strategy focusing on environment, efficiency and performance. Oversees department activities including hull performance monitoring, vessel performance monitoring systems, research and development activities, and legislation review.
- Engage and support corporate efforts to ensure that Seaspan is at the forefront of digital solutions, translating to concrete business benefits aligned to company strategy.
- Monitors various publications to keep current with industry trends and concerns, and co-operates with professional organizations and companies on technology and development projects
- Travels extensively to review vessel construction sites, model testing, conferences, technical meetings, etc.
- Monitors department expenses, submits monthly variance reporting and tracks against budget.
- Ensures that all reporting employees adhere to company policies and procedures
- Communicates expectations to direct reports, manages performance, and provides leadership and support to team members. Is particularly active in maintaining clarity of mission of the role and subordinates, and clear prioritization and progress to accomplishing tasks.
- Occasionally acts as direct reporting manager for the technology project team and department members
- Performs other duties as required
- First class marine engineer or naval architect or other relevant proven skill set related to technical project research, development and management
- Significant and proven management experience in technology and development projects such as hull structure, machinery, electrical and electronic systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and good writing style
- Strong team management capabilities
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum of three years of experience as a Technical Manager
- Preferably have professional recognition as Chartered Engineer or Professional Engineer
If this sounds like a great opportunity for you, click on the APPLY FOR THIS POSITION button below and take a few moments to complete an application and upload your resume. Seaspan employees can apply through the Internal Career Centre, please check SeaNet for the instructions on how to do so.
We thank all applicants in advance. If your application is shortlisted to be included in the interview process, one of our team will be in contact with you. No agency calls please.