As a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlas Corp. (NYSE: ATCO), Seaspan Corporation delivers on the company’s core strategy as a leading asset management and core infrastructure company. The Atlas Corp. and Seaspan teams are goals-driven and share a high-performance culture, focusing on building service offerings. Seaspan provides many of the world’s major shipping lines with alternatives to vessel ownership by offering long-term leases on large, modern containerships combined with industry leading ship management services. Seaspan’s fleet has evolved over time to meet the varying needs of our customer base. We own vessels in a wide range of sizes, from 2,500 TEU to 14,000 TEU.
The Commercial Manager supervises daily charter operations on company-managed vessels and is a key member in successful customer delivery. Located in Hamburg, Copenhagen or London, the Commercial Manager works as a key member of our customer-facing team in Europe.
- Performs duties in accordance with the company Safety Management System (SMS); adheres to ISM and company standards
- Demonstrates teamwork; establishes rapport and maintains effective and collaborative working relationships within the office and external customers
- Supports European business development function, in ‘total account management’ capacity, including identification of opportunities for additional revenue streams, process efficiency improvements, vessel improvements, reporting back in on market demands for technology and advancement
- Works in conjunction with the European business development team to identify potential revenue generating solutions based on discussions with customers
- Partners with other Commercial team/Business Development team members and Projects and Technology teams to deliver on and developing industry leading solutions
- Oversees the creation of charter parties, fixture notes and addenda with the assistance of the legal department, and overall responsibility for the timely and efficient creation, and management of these documents
- Establishes and maintains a positive working relationship with charterers’ commercial, post-fixture and/or operations teams while effectively managing risks and Seaspan’s business interests
- Proactively monitors charter party obligations of company vessels; when required, stems vessel bunker, arranges owners’ agency appointments/co-ordination
- Responsible for monitoring vessel, port, and voyage performance KPIs
- Carries out continual risk assessment of vessel operations for potential loss-situations and recommends and assists with mitigation measures
- Supports and briefs vessel masters on charter party obligations as may be requested from time to time, port and voyage performance issues, including responsible for ensuring that the master understands the requirements, reporting obligations, local contacts and operational structure of the charterer
- Assists masters and monitors KPIS, which may include obtaining and analyzing vessel commercial reports in support of claims or other performance matters, including delays or deviations. This will involve close interaction with various internal departments such as Marine Services and Projects and Technology
- Assists with compiling factual, timely information and documents relating to commercial claims, and internal corporate reporting. Follows up on outstanding (owing) customer amounts
- Supervises vessel damages, and ensuring correct, timely recovery of amounts due from Charterers. Close coordination with the accounts receivable department is a requirement
- Performs other duties as required
• Post-secondary degree in relevant field from a recognized institution
• French, German and English fluency are required
• Minimum five years’ experience in chartering, post-fixture or operations/commercial management
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Must be able to properly analyze situations, mitigate and manage risk, and determine a suitable course of action as part of problem-solving skills
• Able to negotiate with and influence others, establish rapport and maintain effective working relationships
• Charter party understanding is strongly preferred.
If this sounds like a great opportunity for you, click on the APPLY FOR THIS POSITION button below and take a few moments to complete an application and upload your resume. Seaspan employees can apply through the Internal Career Centre, please check SeaNet for the instructions on how to do so.
We thank all applicants in advance. If your application is shortlisted to be included in the interview process, one of our team will be in contact with you. No agency calls please.