A high-visibility technical advisory and oversight role in building related infrastructure design and construction for a confident manager of people, resources and client expectations. Known for your accomplishments as an Architect, with a background related to the design and construction industry, and your ability to engage with senior executives and build credibility with clients, especially when dealing with multiple project delivery objectives, you bring a breadth of skills, experience and emotional intelligence that inspires excellence and drives quality results. You are an exceptional communicator, able to manage relationships and performance, someone clients know they can count on to put in place the people, resources and processes required not only to deliver on project specifications but to meet their highest expectations.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Professional Services, Major Capital Projects, the architect will be a member of the Major Capital Project national internal Professional Services (iPS) team and provide technical guidance to project management teams across the country. Typically major projects range in size $1 million plus to several hundred million and include renovation projects, installations and/or new construction projects such as major facility renovations and fit ups, consolidations, new builds, to energy retrofits and critical environments.
The nature and diversity of projects carried out by the Major Capital Project group makes this position an exciting opportunity to be involved in different project delivery models, have exposure to a variety of stakeholder interests, deepen your knowledge base and advance your career. You will be part of a technical team delivering services that span across all project phases, from workplace planning to pre-construction and design development and management of construction. Our group delivers projects associated with a major program of projects across Canada.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Technical Oversight Support to Project Delivery
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of building architectural systems in existing facilities including building envelope, space use, material selections, code compliance and life safety systems.
- Prepare Technical Communiques on updates or changes to technical codes and standards with an impact to facility operation and maintenance.
- Work with multi-disciplinary team of facility management professionals and technicians to develop short and long-term capital planning of projects for existing facilities.
- Support Project Delivery Services, acting in owners architect capacity, during project initiation and planning by reviewing material, cost and timing, estimates and reports, from 3rd party consultants, related to building architectural systems in existing facilities including building envelope, space use, material selections, code compliance and life safety systems for proposed renovation projects.
- Review statements of work for architectural consulting services.
- As required, review and provide feedback regarding investment analysis reports, prepared by 3rd party consultants on various projects.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in architecture;
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in architecture;
- Must have a well-rounded background in existing building repair and renovation, architectural design and construction;
- Strong understanding of the engineering environment in architectural sector;
- Strong building envelope and building science knowledge considered an asset;
- Working knowledge of the National Building Code;
- Ability to liaison with Authority Having Jurisdictions across Canada;
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced team environment;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to manage competing priorities in fast paced environment;
- Ability to work on several projects concurrently;
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Able to monitor costs, including control of project schedules;
- Excellent communication skills in both official languages considered an asset;
- Proficient with MS Office suite and with the use of National Master Specifications;
- Maintain effective working relationships with clients, staff, and other employees;
- Strong organization skills;
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills;
- Prior customer interface experience;
- Highly meticulous nature, strong attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills; Strong oral and written communication skills in both official languages (French and English) considered an asset; and
- Proficiency with computer Tools.
Licenses and/or Professional Accreditation
- Member of a registered architectural association, in Canada, or certified Architectural Technologist or equivalent considered an asset.