The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution reports to the Director, Facilities Decommissioning & Environmental Remediation, in Decommissioning & Environmental Remediation, and has overall responsibility for planning and delivery of Reactor Facility Decommissioning projects in Facilities Decommissioning’s CRL portfolio. Facilities Decommissioning projects encompass planning, managing and completing large and complex decommissioning projects in excess of $50M to the full satisfaction of project Clients and Stakeholders (e.g. AECL). Experience managing decommissioning projects for nuclear reactors, nuclear fuel bays and processing facilities, and nuclear research laboratories is critical.
The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution ensures, through oversight activities, that projects performed by his/her Program are planned and implemented in accordance with CNL policies and procedures, and project management processes, to meet Customer requirements.
The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution’s specific responsibilities include:
• Ensuring that applicable Company-wide procedures, operating instructions, and project-specific processes, procedures and tools are applied to the planning, execution, and control of projects within the Program, and their application is subject to periodic review for compliance and effectiveness.
• Interfacing with the Program and Stakeholders (e.g. AECL) to ensure project requirements are defined and understood, project outcomes and deliverables are planned and specified, progress is communicated, and issues are identified and resolved.
• Implementing the Facilities Decommissioning QA Manual within the Program, ensuring that project-specific QA Plans/Checklists are prepared, and establishing objectives for quality, continuous improvement and customer satisfaction across the Program.
• Monitoring and reporting overall progress of projects within the Program, conducting reviews to verify outputs are aligned with plans, and ensuring that significant variances and trends are investigated.
• Coordinating with functional managers (engineering, safety & licensing, procurement, QA, planning and control, construction/installation) to ensure that functional resource requirements are planned in accordance with Program delivery requirements, and that Program-specific aspects of functional resources are implemented.
• Establishing strategic goals and operational objectives for their portfolio in alignment with Decommissioning & Waste Management strategic objectives and CNL corporate priorities. Providing input to the business plans to indicate how results will be measured and achieved.
• Participate in the recruiting and hiring of staff required to deliver decommissioning projects. Taking the lead on orienting and training new staff, managing their performance and career development and planning for succession.
• Supporting continuous improvement initiatives that enhance CNL’s decommissioning management capability, communicating the needs to develop and implement improved processes and tools that meet Decommissioning Program delivery needs.
The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution has an established track record for Nuclear Decommissioning Project delivery and a mature understanding of project management principles and practices. S/He has a demonstrated technical aptitude and understands the nature and challenges of delivering nuclear decommissioning projects. The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution understands the requirements of the Nuclear Safety & Control Act and its regulations, the CEAA and IAEA requirements (e.g., safeguards, security), and internal compliance programs for safety, health and environmental protection. S/He has excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate complex information to various audiences, orally and in writing. The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution has above average organizational ability and working-level knowledge of project management. S/He has a proven track record to managing large teams in both and office and field setting.
The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution will be required to make formal presentations and interact with customer representatives, partners and suppliers, regulatory officers, the public, and government officials. An ability to clearly communicate with the public and media on sensitive issues may occasionally be required.
The Manager, CRL Reactor Facilities Decommissioning Program Execution Manager fosters effective relationships with the internal or external Decommissioning Clients, and with major stakeholders such as the Facility Authority. In addition, s/he forges links with the licensing Single Point of Contact, the Safety Review Committee, the Chief Engineer, and representatives of central service groups such as finance, purchasing and human resources. Outside of CNL, the incumbent develops formal and informal networks of contacts and professionally associates with major suppliers that meet the various project needs, and may participate on international committees or working groups of the IAEA, NEA or other agencies. The Manager, CRL Reactor Facility Decommissioning Program Execution builds productive working relationships with the CNSC staff and management team to realize licensing and environmental assessment goals.