The City of Lethbridge ( www.lethbridge.ca ) serves a community nearing 100,000 residents and is committed to delivering services in a way that earns the trust, respect and confidence of the community. Located just two hours south of Calgary and close to the Rocky Mountains and U.S. border, we are family-oriented, culturally vibrant , and enjoy an affordable lifestyle with many amenities of a larger city. The City of Lethbridge recognizes the diversity of our community and is working to ensure programs, services, facilities and employment opportunities are inclusive to all people.
The Waste and Recycling Utility has exciting career opportunity to provide leadership at the Waste and Recycling Centre for the landfill, material recovery facility, compost facility and public drop-off area staff and contractors. As a Coordinator at the Waste and Recycling Centre, you will monitor processing systems and staff performance. You will also implement and adhere to the Approval issued by Alberta Environment and Parks and ensure regulatory compliance is maintained. You will work to resolve issues that arise quickly involving staff, contractors, technical project staff and customers. Monitoring and implementing operational and maintenance plans as well as industry best practices to ensure the facilities operate as they were intended is also a key result for the coordinators.
Status: Permanent, Full-time
Specific Duties will include:
- Set tone of professionalism and customer service for operational staff to follow
- Support frontline staff as well as be available as a point of escalation for resolution of customer issues
- Monitor and oversee the day to day operations of Waste and Recycling Centre facilities including the
- Material Recovery Facility
- Public and Commercial drop-off areas
- Compost facility
- Hydro-vac disposal facility
- Landfill gas collection and destruction system
- With the WRC manager develop short and longer range goals and work plans for the facilities
- Monitor work and perform inspections
- Identify operational issues and opportunities
- Provide options for resolution of issues and make recommendations for process and procedural improvements
- Lead regular meetings with site personnel
- Provide link the City of Lethbridge corporate culture and values
- Meet regularly with the Waste and Recycling Centre Manager and contract managers to address issues that require resolution at a high level
- Track and input KPA data and prepare and present reports
- Provide contract management and in some cases provide direct oversight to the contracted personnel
- Understand applicable regulatory documentation and ensure it is adhered to. This will include things such as Approval, Alberta Landfill Standards, Alberta Code of Practice for Composting Facilities, Waste Control Regulations and Lethbridge Waste and Recycling Bylaws.
- Lead and support the development of compliance documentation and procedures
- Ensure site is in compliance with Alberta and City of Lethbridge safety and labour standards
- Work with the Waste and Recycling Centre Manager to develop new contract competition documents
- Develop preventative maintenance programs for site facilities, infrastructure and equipment and ensure timely maintenance; utilization of a computer maintenance management system for work tracking and planning
- Coordinate commodities products shipping and logistics with external brokers/marketing agents and the WRC operations contractors
- Coordinate the work of the WRC Maintenance Technician(s) and Load Inspector(s)
- Other duties as required
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- A high school diploma supplemented by two or more years of post-secondary education in engineering, environmental or traditional sciences, operational management or other relevant areas
- Three years or more experience supervising waste management facilities and systems would be considered an asset, specifically landfill, materials recovery facilities, composting, operations and maintenance would be considered and asset
- Have or be able to obtain Alberta Landfill Facility Operator Certification, Alberta Compost Facility Operator Certification
- Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A leadership mindset committed to excellent public service deliver and winning the hearts of the community
- Excellent relationship building skills that are collaborative, responsive and supportive
- Sound judgement and the ability to resolve complex issues with stakeholders including regulators, contractors and technical staff
- Strong knowledge of construction methods, equipment operation and maintenance
- Experience in operations and heavy equipment operations
- Experience with performance monitoring and work inspections
- Ability to use computer software including GIS/GPS and SCADA systems as well as office software
- Knowledge of reporting tools and management of performance indicators.
- Possess the ability and willingness to continually educate oneself on the issues, science and technology, laws and regulations surrounding solid waste, recycling, waste diversion and environmental subjects
We are looking for a results-oriented team member who demonstrates professionalism and is committed to providing exemplary public service.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Steve Rozee, Waste and Recycling Centre Manager @ 403-320-3114
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at: www.lethbridge.ca
Closing Date: August 5, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
CUPE Local 70
Fostering Equity and Diversity