Do you want to make a difference?
The Canadian Red Cross, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking volunteers to join our Emergency Management team. This is an opportunity to put your passion for emergency management to work to assist individuals, families and communities impacted by small or large disasters and emergencies.
We are actively recruiting in the following communities:
ONTARIO NORTH: Algoma District, Cochrane District, Kenora District, Nipissing District, Parry Sound District, Rainy River District, Sudbury District and Greater Sudbury, Thunder Bay District, Timiskaming District
ONTARIO EAST: Frontenac, Haliburton, Hastings, Kawartha Lakes, Lennox & Addington, Muskoka, Northumberland, Prescott Russell, Renfrew County, Stormont Dundas Glengarry
ONTARIO WEST: Brant Haldimand Norfolk, Bruce, Grey, Chatham Kent, Huron County, Niagara Region, Perth County, Sarnia-Lambton County, St. Thomas-Elgin, Windsor – Essex, Woodstock – Oxford County
As a member of our Emergency Management team you will:
- Work collaboratively as part of an experienced team of trained EM volunteers and respond to emergencies in your community, or province or across Canada according to your schedule and availability
- Learn about Red Cross assistance including emergency shelter, clothing, food, personal services, registration, family reunification and safety and wellbeing requirements
- Assess needs with those affected by an emergency event and provide approved goods and services
- Support the wellbeing of beneficiaries by providing care, comfort and referrals to partner agencies and other community-based groups for services
- Prepare, inventory and manage response supplies to ensure they are stocked and ready
- Contribute to the overall health, safety and security of the team you work with
- Participate in Red Cross team building, training, planning and readiness exercises
- Contribute to community-based risk reduction and emergency preparedness activities
- Apply for leadership roles to supervise, mentor and lead other EM volunteers and manage the delivery of required services
What we offer our Volunteers:
- Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality
- Flexibility: a variety of roles that flex with your stage of life allowing you to volunteer close to home, or across Canada, for a few hours each week or a few weeks at a time
- Volunteer Benefits: insurance coverage while volunteering plus access to our Employee Assistance program for support during difficult times
- Meaningful Work: providing humanitarian relief that will create an impact at the individual and community level across Canada
- Training & Development: comprehensive training including first aid certification and the opportunity to participate in leadership development
Through the course of your work as an Emergency Management volunteer you will not only assist during times of disaster and emergency, you will also help people to be better prepared, better connected to each other and more resilient when emergencies happen.
You bring many talents including these basics:
- Commitment - to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and the core competencies of team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused
- Customer Service Skills - dedicated to supporting those affected by emergencies
- Language fluency - to deliver services in English or French; additional languages are an asset
- Communication skills - attuned to supporting with active listening and the ability to explain and confirm understanding
- Attention to detail - when making notes, maintaining logs, completing forms, providing statistics and tracking financial disbursements
- Computer use – including the ability enter data into a database or spreadsheet and use email
- Teamwork values - sharing information, helping team members, respectful of diversity, approachable, building relationships
- Ability to remain calm during a crisis - express empathy, remain focused and respond decisively.
- Dependable and reliable
Where and when you would volunteer:
- The majority of preparedness and response work is performed in the community, in an office environment or through virtual means such as by telephone or video conference
- The potential exists for responding in disaster areas, as well as difficult conditions. If working at a response site, health and safety considerations will be outlined prior to the assignment
- Ideally you have the ability to volunteer during regular hours and/or during non-traditional hours (evenings and weekends), accept an on-call shift rotation and/or respond to unplanned emergency/disaster related requests periodically. Hours will vary by location and frequency of response activity
- You can identify a preference to respond in your local community and/or outside of your community.
- In exceptional circumstances, our volunteers may be offered the opportunity to deploy away from home to a large-scale response in their province or in Canada, as required and available, anywhere from 7 to 21 days.
How to apply
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
This position will require a satisfactory Canadian criminal record reference check or Enhanced Police Information Check during the onboarding stage.
At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All volunteer applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We welcome applications from all applicants particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.