Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) sits on the unceded, traditional and ancestral lands of the Kwantlen, Musqueam, Katzie, Semihamoo, Tsawwassen, Qayqayt and Kwikwetlem peoples.
KPU is a teaching-oriented polytechnic university serving communities in the South Fraser region. As leaders in innovative and interdisciplinary education, we offer all learners, regardless of background and preparation, opportunities to achieve the highest standards of academic performance. Our many programs of study provide applied learning and broad-based university education.
Counsellor – Competition ID: 1084
Counselling Services at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is seeking applications for a full-time counsellor (35 hrs/week) for a one-year term commencing February 1, 2022.
The successful candidate will have skills, experience, and knowledge in:
• Individual and group counselling;
• Assessment and triage;
• Treating a range of mental health/psychosocial/emotional concerns;
• Trauma-informed practice;
• Issues related to development across the lifespan;
• Counselling young adults and people in transition;
• Crisis intervention and management and suicide assessment;
• Community resources and ability to make appropriate referrals;
• Ethical issues as they relate to personal counselling in a university setting.
• Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology (MA/MEd) or Social Work (MSW) from a recognized, accredited university;
• Registration with the relevant professional body as required (BCCSW, BCPA) or certification with either the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (RCC) or the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCC); and
• Five years of relevant counselling work/clinical practice.
• Experience in successfully navigating and engaging with institutional systems, services, and support within a post-secondary institution is preferred.
• Fluency in a locally spoken language in addition to English an asset.
For more information about Counselling Services at KPU, see kpu.ca/counselling
Candidates are asked to forward a curriculum vitae, including copies of post-secondary transcripts.
Note to Applicants
The University welcomes and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.