Reporting to Director, Software Development
Knowledge First Financial is Canada’s Largest Registered Education Savings Plans provider, with a sole focus on education savings. We inspire students to realize life’s possibilities by enabling families to maximize their education savings through RESP specialists. Today, we manage over 500,000 RESPs for our Customers and each year, approximately 60,000 students attend post-secondary with the help of one of our plans.
This is your chance to be part of an exceptional group of experts, guided and inspired by a not-for-profit Foundation focused on satisfying our significant customer base. We are driven by purpose and commercial value. If you thrive in a purpose-based organization, with a passion for expertise and human-centered design, apply for a position with us today.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to play a pivotal role in building and operationalizing the minimally inclusive data necessary for the enterprise data and analytics initiatives following industry standard practices and tools.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Build data pipelines: Managed data pipelines consist of a series of stages through which data flows (for example, from data sources or endpoints of acquisition to integration to consumption for specific use cases). These data pipelines must be created, maintained and optimized as workloads move from development to production for specific use cases. Architecting, creating and maintaining data pipelines will be the primary responsibility of the data engineer.
- Drive Automation through effective metadata management: The data engineer will be responsible for using innovative and modern tools, techniques and architectures to partially or completely automate the most-common, repeatable and tedious data preparation and integration tasks in order to minimize manual and error-prone processes and improve productivity. The data engineer will also need to assist with renovating the data management infrastructure to drive automation in data integration and management. This will include (but not be limited to):
- Learning and using modern data preparation, integration and AI-enabled metadata management tools and techniques.
- Tracking data consumption patterns.
- Performing intelligent sampling and caching.
- Monitoring schema changes.
- Automating — existing and future integration flows.
- Collaborate across departments: The newly hired data engineer will need strong collaboration skills in order to work with varied stakeholders within the organization. In particular, the data engineer will work in close relationship with product teams and with business (data) analysts in refining their data requirements for various data and analytics initiatives and their data consumption requirements.
- Educate and train: The data engineer should be curious and knowledgeable about new data initiatives and how to address them. This includes applying their data and/or domain understanding in addressing new data requirements. They will also be responsible for proposing appropriate (and innovative) data ingestion, preparation, integration and operationalization techniques in optimally addressing these data requirements. The data engineer will be required to train counterparts such as data scientists, data analysts, LOB users or any data consumers in these data pipelining and preparation techniques, which make it easier for them to integrate and consume the data they need for their own use cases.
- Participate in ensuring compliance and governance during data use: It will be the responsibility of the data engineer to ensure that the data users and consumers use the data provisioned to them responsibly through data governance and compliance initiatives. Data engineers should work with data governance teams (and information stewards within these teams) and participate in vetting and promoting content created in the business and by data scientists to the curated data catalog for governed reuse.
- Become a data and analytics evangelist: The data engineer will be considered a blend of data and analytics “evangelist,” “data guru” and “fixer.” This role will promote the available data and analytics capabilities and expertise to business unit leaders and educate them in leveraging these capabilities in achieving their business goals.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
If you have the following, you may be the person we are looking for:
- A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, data management, information systems, information science or a related quantitative field or equivalent work experience is required.
- A combination of IT skills, data governance skills, and analytics skills with a technical or computer science degree.
- At least 5 years or more of work experience in data management disciplines including data integration, modeling, optimization, and data quality, and/or other areas directly relevant to data engineering responsibilities and tasks.
- At least 3 years of experience working in cross-functional teams and collaborating with business stakeholders in support of a departmental and/or multi-departmental data management and analytics initiative.
- Technical and Business Knowledge/Skills
- Foundational knowledge of Data Management practices –
- Strong experience with various Data Management architectures like Data Warehouse, Data Lake, Data Hub and the supporting processes like Data Integration, Governance, Metadata Management
- Strong ability to design, build and manage data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata and workload management.
- Strong experience in working with large, heterogeneous datasets in building and optimizing data pipelines, pipeline architectures and integrated datasets using traditional data integration technologies. These should include ETL/ELT, data replication/CDC, message-oriented data movement, API design and access and upcoming data ingestion and integration technologies such as stream data integration, CEP and data virtualization.
- Basic experience in working with data governance/data quality and data security teams and specifically information stewards and privacy and security officers in moving data pipelines into production with appropriate data quality, governance and security standards and certification. Ability to build quick prototypes and to translate prototypes into data products and services in a diverse ecosystem –
- Demonstrated success in working with large, heterogeneous datasets to extract business value using popular data preparation tools such as Trifacta, Paxata, Unifi, others to reduce or even automate parts of the tedious data preparation tasks.
- Strong experience with popular database programming languages including SQL, PL/SQL, others for relational databases and certifications on upcoming NoSQL/Hadoop oriented databases like MongoDB, Cassandra, others for nonrelational databases.
- Strong experience with advanced analytics tools for Object-oriented/object function scripting using languages such as R, Python, Java, C++, Scala, and others.
- Ability to automate pipeline development –
- Experience in working with DevOps capabilities like version control, automated builds, testing and release management capabilities using tools like Git, Azure DevOps
- Ability to collaborate with technical and business personas –
- Strong experience in working with data science teams in refining and optimizing data science and machine learning models and algorithms
- Demonstrated success in working with both IT and business while integrating analytics and data science output into business processes and workflows.
- Experience working with popular data discovery, analytics and BI software tools like Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI and others for semantic-layer-based data discovery.
- Exposure to hybrid deployments: Cloud and On-premise –
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple deployment environments including cloud, on-premises and hybrid, multiple operating systems and through containerization techniques
- Adept in agile methodologies and capable of applying DevOps and increasingly DataOps principles to data pipelines to improve the communication, integration, reuse and automation of data flows between data managers and consumers across an organization
- Strong experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic business environment.
- Required to be highly creative and collaborative. An ideal candidate would be expected to collaborate with both the business and IT teams to define the business problem, refine the requirements, and design and develop data deliverables accordingly. The successful candidate will also be required to have regular discussions with data consumers on optimally refining the data pipelines developed in nonproduction environments and deploying them in production.
- Required to have the accessibility and ability to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels and roles within the company.
- Is a confident, energetic self-starter, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Has good judgment, a sense of urgency and has demonstrated commitment to high standards of ethics, regulatory compliance, customer service and business integrity.
We have adopted a hybrid model, leveraging the best of remote and in-person work.
All Knowledge First Financial employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the Company's Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
Accommodation Individuals Who Cannot Be Vaccinated
The Company is committed to a workplace free from discrimination and harassment in accordance with Ontario human rights laws. Candidates who provide a medical or religious reasoning for not having received a COVID-19 vaccine, will be assisted by the Company in developing and implementing an appropriate accommodation. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause the Company undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We at Knowledge First Financial, are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a culture that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.