The Technical Superintendent provides engineering support and builds detailed design and construction information for Victoria Shipyards. This information includes conceptual design, 2D and 3D models, layout proposals, structural arrangements, construction drawings, weight tracking reports, and engineering calculations for ship repair and conversion.
The Technical Superintendent reports to the Senior Manager, Repair & Conversion Engineering and has no direct reports. However, they will provide technical mentorship to more junior staff within the department.
NOTE: Relocation supported for a successful candidate residing outside of British Columbia.
- Requests technical information for ship repair and conversion
- Logs and reviews the received drawings and technical information
- Develops design packages from 2D and 3D Cad Modelling
- Prepares construction drawings for hull structure and outfit
- Maintains vessel stability and produces weight monitoring reports
- Perform docking calculations and develops docking plan proposals
- Builds detailed work plans for the production departments (all trades) to follow during repair and conversion programs
- Assists other departments, such as estimating and planning
Education and Experience
- BSc. degree in Engineering or Naval Architecture
- Minimum of 8 years technical experience in ship design, construction, repair and conversion; experience in a shipyard production support role is an asset
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Eligible for Canadian Security Clearance
- Demonstrate outstanding business ethics, integrity and honesty
- Excellent technical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent command of the English language, verbal and written
- Demonstrate proficiency in AutoCAD or other modelling software
- Able to work in a team environment and independently
- Self-started, fast-paced, adaptable, and highly-motivated
- Detail orientated
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.