Director, Digital Transformation
Seaspan is uniquely positioned on the west coast of North America as a vertically integrated shipyard company. Based on Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, Seaspan has developed a world-class capability to design, build and successfully deliver complex surface ships. As Canada's non-combat strategic partner under the National Shipbuilding Strategy, Seaspan is building ships for the Canadian Coast Guard and the Royal Canadian Navy well into the future. In addition to shipbuilding, Seaspan is a leader in ship maintenance, repair, overhaul and refit. Active with both naval and coast guard in-service support (ISS) along with a strong commercial sustainment business, Seaspan has a unique combination of capabilities that positions us for substantial growth.
Based on our innovation efforts to this point, we believe that substantial value can be built for our customers through the use of digital ship (digital twin) technologies both during the shipbuilding phase and the ship maintenance, repair, overhaul and refit phase. By creating and using detailed digital twins of our ships during the design and build phase, those models can then be used to drive considerable efficiency to sustainment operations.
The Director, Digital Transformation will bring broad expertise and knowledge in digital twin technologies to lead Seaspan's Digital Ship strategy from a technical perspective. While knowledge of the marine sector, shipbuilding and sustainment is an asset, it is not required as Seaspan has a tremendous base of knowledge in these areas. Leading the development of an incremental, digital ship transformation strategy, the Director, Digital Transformation will play both a strategic role and a hands-on role in leading innovation projects to extend and expand Seaspan's digital ship capabilities.
- Drive future growth for the company through innovation that builds value and competitive differentiation for Seaspan
- Lead the development of Seaspan's Digital Ship Strategy working very closely with Seaspan's engineering and operations teams
- Lead the development of sound business cases for investments in Digital Ship
- Provide a broader understanding of digital twin technologies to functional teams
- Lead and play a role in the implementation of Seaspan's near-term digital ship innovation projects
- Interface to strategic partners and technology providers as necessary to support the strategy and projects
- Lead and play a hands-on role in securing outside funding for innovation projects.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with customers, partners, suppliers and within Seaspan.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of professional experience in digital twin technologies and the operational benefits achieved from such technologies.
- Experience in marine sector ideal but not mandatory particularly in shipbuilding, ship maintenance, repair, overhaul and refit.
- Educated to degree-level in a relevant area preferred.
- Proven track record of leading technical strategies and technical teams in complex large-scale businesses.
- Experience leading and closing complex systems with contract values over $10M and ideally over $50M.
- Experience with forming and maintaining strategic industry partnerships and supplier arrangements.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- This job is both strategic and tactical, and requires substantial leadership in technical strategy and opportunity capture.
- Multi-faceted leadership skills applicable to direct leadership roles and influential (indirect) leadership roles.
- Ability to work in a highly flexible and fluid environment and maintain calm and rational thinking and reasoning at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders and the ability to respond to stakeholder needs strategically and tactfully.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, superior oral and written capabilities, including the ability to build professional relationships with government and industry partners.
- Skilled at advocacy, influence, and persuasion, with the able to convince others to act on information or recommendations based on compelling logic or common best interests.
- Knowledge of complex government markets.
- Solid understanding and expertise with Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel).
- Self-starter with good organizational skills who can work both independently and as a member of a team.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted