The Financial Analyst is primarily accountable for the preparation of monthly financial and management reports, financial analyses, time-keeping oversight for both hourly and salary staff and reporting. This role also assists in the preparation of the annual budget, quarterly forecasting, and annual Government of Canada rate negotiations. Creation of Business Intelligence query reports and dashboards will also be an important aspect to this role.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Complete month-end duties ranging from Journal Entries, Billing/AR review, AP Invoice coding, GL reconciliations, financial statement preparation (PnL, BS, CF), monthly working papers.
- Preparation of year-end working papers and analysis to support audit process.
- Support capital expenditures proposals including the review of business cases, validation of financial models, periodic review of project spending to ensure current financial information is built into forecasts and that budgets are not exceeded, and compliance with internal policies.
- Management of operational leases including review of lease/license paperwork, confirm expense coding, and financial forecasting and impacts.
- Assists in the development of the annual budget, forecasting and long-range financial projections.
- Liaises with operations to ensure costs are accurately budgeted.
- Assists in the development of the cash flow forecasting process, standardized models, report formats and data definitions required for divisional reporting.
- Assists in the development of Business Intelligence reporting to improve operational and financial understanding.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (Business and Finance preferred).
- Charted Professional Accountant (CPA) or Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) designation preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated ability in a business/financial analysis role in a sophisticated and dynamic environment.
- Timekeeping or payroll experience is considered an asset
Skills, Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Knowledge of analysis from a qualitative and quantitative perspective including discounted cash flow, net present value and internal rate of return calculations.
- Analytical and planning skills with ability to multi-tasking and prioritize tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communications, including the ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy.
- Attention to detail, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Skilled at asking probing questions to deepen understanding of business issues.
- Sophisticated digital literacy (MS Excel modelling and data analysis, PowerPoint, SAP BI/Power BI query reports and dashboards). Database management skills desirable.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.