Casual Facilities Assistant
Working under the direction of the Casual Facilities Coordinator, the Casual Facilities Assistant has the primary accountability for the maintenance of the Seaspan facilities, which includes general facilities and office maintenance, minor repairs, painting, electrical, landscaping, space planning and office moves. In addition, assists with the planning and organization of company and staff events.
- Troubleshoots all facilities related concerns such as air conditioning, heat, lighting and plumbing problems. Performs regular facility maintenance work such as landscaping, replacing and fixing lights, painting and carpet/wall touch up etc.
- Conducts daily office troubleshooting such as workstation problems/requests and assisting the IT department with phone and computer cabling requests.
- Performs minor repairs and handyman work (e.g. painting, electrical, plumbing, etc.) as required. For major repairs and maintenance work, assists with sourcing, evaluating and selecting appropriate sub-contractors to perform the work. Also responsible for coordinating and supervising work completed by sub-contractors to ensure quality.
- Handles general office shipping and receiving, delivery organization, mail pick up and drop offs, as well as training room and company gym maintenance duties. When required, assists the Stores with order pick up and delivery organization.
- Handles daily maintenance of gym facility ensuring cleaning supplies are replenished, lights are replaced, washer/dryer and showers are working and conferring with cleaners on what areas need attention for cleaning.
- For internal office moves, this role will work with the responsible Executives to ensure a clear understanding of the move plan and discuss implementation tactics (timing, logistics, resources/equipment required, etc.). This role is responsible for the actual implementation of the move, which includes coordination with the affected parties, determining the best timing for the move, and arranging of all required logistics (e.g. furniture, workstations, materials, etc.)
- Works in collaboration with the Events committee to plan and coordinate company and staff events (e.g. family picnic, commissioning’s, retirements, charity events, etc.). This involves assisting in the planning of the event, ordering all required equipment, food and entertainment, setting up for the event, as well as cleaning up.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education
- 1-3 years demonstrated experience as facilities maintenance worker
- Some knowledge of the Marine industry is an asset
Skills, Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Broad trades knowledge and skills (electrical, plumbing, painting, carpentry, etc.). Knowledge of Seaspan facilities is an advantage
- Strong customer service orientation and troubleshooting skills
- Must be a creative problem solver
- Effective communication and people skills
- Flexible, dependable and reliable. Strong abilities to prioritize and multi-task
- A valid Class 5 Drivers Licence and a safe driving record
- Knowledge of and/or experience operating outdoor landscaping equipment is an asset
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted