Business Analyst, Financial Systems
The Business Analyst, Financial Systems, supports continuous improvement initiatives redesign and change initiatives across all six operating businesses and shared services functions for the ERP, Earned Value and related financial systems. Reporting to the Manager, Financial Systems, the Business Analyst, Financial Systems supports assessment of business needs, system and process control reviews, documenting business requirements, development of process and technical solutions and provides technical support for division specific applications.
As a key user resource, the Business Analyst, Financial Systems provides user support in business systems used by the company, workshop facilitation, process roll-out to end-users, associated training, development and production of procedure manuals and user guides,
The role is also a key Subject Matter Expert (SME) in delivery of ERP enhancements and improvements, either during the course of a specific process or system enhancement project or as a response to identified business requirements.
The role also provides technical subject matter knowledge relative to Earned Value applications and their use.
- Analyzing, interpreting and translating business requirements into viable solutions.
- Subject matter expert in Earned Value applications, such as Cobra Earned Value Management. Areas of expertise include technical design, application setup and maintenance, report development and interfaces with ERP or reporting applications.
- Tier 2/3 user support for Cobra EVM application to Shipyards users.
- Participate in the design, evaluation, configuration, testing and implementation of applications functionality to drive business solutions.
- Assist in identifying system enhancement improvement opportunities (proactive and reactive), including making appropriate recommendations to process owners, participating in configuration and testing, and training end users.
- Assist with the creation of business cases, and other project related documentation, as the need arises, with input from key business partners for system improvement requests.
- Build, execute, and document criteria, scenarios and test scripts to validate system improvements, and provide framework and coordination to support unit, functional and user acceptance testing.
- Participate in functional testing and roll-out of customizations, new improvements, application releases and system integration based on user/business needs.
- Train Finance & Accounting users on E1, SAP BI, Cobra EVM and other financial systems, including creation and maintenance of user guides, manuals, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), online user reference sources and other related materials.
- Provide troubleshooting and support to Finance & Accounting end-users (Tier 2/3 level).
- Assisting application development resources and technical support staff in identifying and resolving problems.
- Serve as an interpersonal liaison with the Seaspan user community.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent;
- Plus a professional designation: CPA (CA, CMA, CGA);
- 3-5 years of demonstrated ability working with Financial ERP systems, including JD Edwards. Experience in a user-facing support role (e.g. Super-User, functional application support) is desirable;
- Experience working with Earned Value Management applications, focusing on technical design, application maintenance and user support.
- Experience in reporting, data management, system implementations and/or upgrades, project management, and report writing (SAP Business Objects, Crystal Reports, etc.); and
- Solid understanding of Business Operations in a Manufacturing environment.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Experience in business process documentation, process improvement and redesign;
- Exposure to project management methodology and best practices;
- Strong demonstrated knowledge in ERP (JDE or equivalent) Business Systems;
- Strong demonstrated knowledge in EVM (Cobra or equivalent) applications;
- Solid understanding of data quality standard methodologies and integration concepts techniques;
- Experience with data mining applications, preferably Business Intelligence; and
- Knowledge of Canadian ASPE GAAP and related financial reporting requirements.
Financial Management Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard methodologies in accounting, reporting, financial services, taxation and financial planning & analysis;
- Demonstrated knowledge of analytical techniques and financial concepts to define and solve sophisticated problems;
- Proven experience in manufacturing and/or transportation (preferably shipbuilding/Marine);
- Proficient in MS-Office (Excel /Word/Outlook/PowerPoint/Visio); and
- Good eye for business.
Communication & People Skills:
- Ability to work well under pressure, problem solve and multi-task;
- Ability to collaborate in virtual and in-person environments;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and effective listening skills;
- Strong presentation Skills (internal & external);
- Creative, results oriented and highly motivated;
- Adaptability and flexibility to change; and
- Customer service orientation, self-starter and initiative driven.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.