The Contracts Specialist reports to the Contract Manager – New Construction. The Contracts Specialist will work in a team environment under the lead of Senior Contracts Specialists. This role will support proposal development, customer relationships, internal management, and the administration of NSS contracts. This team ensures that VSY’s contract management standards and processes are accurately applied, all obligations of VSY and the customer are met and contractual risks are identified, reported and managed.
- Responsible for keeping clear records (online and physical) of all contractual documentation, and approval documentation in accordance with the company’s operating procedures.
- Responsible for inputting contractual information into internal databases and ensuring this is accurate and up to date; ensuring all contract amendment activity is clearly tracked and assisting with the reporting of this.
- Assisting with the communication of contractual updates to internal stakeholders.
- Supports and review proposals and contract amendments with the customer as needed. If required, the specialist will advise legal counsel regarding interpretation of issues.
- Prepares, presents, and executes agreement documents covering the prime contracts and amendments, ensuring the execution of contractual documentation is in accordance with the company’s delegation of authority policy.
- Provides detailed and timely review of documents drafted by other teams identifying, evaluating and mitigating commercial and contractual risk to the company.
- Supports communication with the Customer and internal stakeholders; assists team in translating needs into feasible work plans.
- Work with Customers regarding contract deliverables, including documentation, plans, landmarks and other outstanding contract requirements.
- Keeps accurate, easily accessible and complete records of the Company’s contractual and business matters for the scope of work assigned to them.
- Ensures that the business area is cognizant of the requirement to have these agreements accurately expressed and executed in a timely manner to protect the interests of the business area as well as the Company.
- Keeps immediate Supervisor and the business area appraised of issues identified.
- Where possible assists with internal queries relating to the requirements and obligations of the prime contracts.
- Maintain a good understanding of the processes used by the Company to monitor its day to day affairs and follow those processes (e.g. contract approval, timesheet recording, performance reporting).
Education and Experience:
- University degree is required, preferably in business or law.
- 5 years of experience including a minimum of 3 related to the industry or government experience.
- Experience with and knowledge of Canadian Federal Government Procurement agreements including SACC knowledge is a benefit.
- Experience with reading and managing contracts is a benefit.
- Must be able to secure a Canadian Government (CISD) Personal Security Clearance and controlled goods registration.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies:
- Excellent knowledge of English language, verbal and written.
- Above average organizational skills to collect and analyze/synthesize data.
- Excellent computer skills including Excel/Word/ PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Strong communication, tact, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Ability to collaborate with teams and work independently with minimal direction and handle their time effectively.
- Analytical ability with business issues and legal terms.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.