Detail Design Supervisor
The Detail Designer Supervisor is responsible for managing and coordinating team(s) effort for 3D model development and extraction of complete Manufacturing Information (MI) to support production at VSY.
The Detail Designer Supervisor will ensure that 3D Model and associated MI are generated in accordance with the VSY Standards, Quality and VSY Engineering Processes. This role will be responsible for actively engaging in Model and MI Reviews. Incumbent will also be responsible for management of 3D modelling, production design, MI generation and implementation of lessons learned. These responsibilities ensure that the goals and objectives of the Detail Design Department are accomplished within the prescribed plans, schedules and budgets. This role requires interaction across various departments at multiple levels internally and externally. It will be common for the Detail Designer Supervisor to be working and supporting functional engineering, detail design, planning, production and with suppliers. Communication skills, both written and verbal, need to be excellent.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining schedules, budgets and resources for the detail design team to meet the build requirements and timelines.
- Responsible for managing the detail design (i.e. 3D model) development; ensures that all components are fitted within the respective systems and align with Functional Design / technical requirements
- Responsible for managing the spatial layout and design of the ship’s systems; ensures that all components are integrated within the respective design zones.
- Maintain stock catalogue with constant communication with procurement and material management.
- Liaison with Lead Engineering to resolve major/significant field and / or area outstanding design issues
- Provide technical support and resolution from design to fabrication
- Coordinate team effort to generate the Manufacturing Information (MI) to support detail planning / production
- Provide leadership and direction for: CAD modelling, standards and process design related with its subject area
- Manage external detail design engineering offices
- Develop and communicate the plan and budget for delivering the work on time, and manage the cost and resources
- Performs additional duties as required.
Education and Required Experience
- Associate Design degree or equivalent experience required.
- 5-8 years in depth experience in Detailed Design in Shipbuilding.
- 3 years od experience in supervision of sub-ordinates is required.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD software and document control systems.
- Preference for knowledge with ShipConstructor, NavisWorks, Cadmatic and Aras.
- Familiarity with National Shipbuilding Strategy program an asset.
- Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
Demonstrated effective communication across a variety of subject areas.
- Ability to lead and develop people through work.
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Ability to work in ShipConstructor and AutoCAD software
- Demonstrated knowledge with Rhino, NavisWorks and SharePoint
- Organizational skills including the ability to maintain organization in a changing environment, multi-task and establish priorities
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the crucial job functions and corporate philosophy
- Advanced PC and Network proficiency required – ability to fix network licenses, version control across all MSOffice
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.