Seaspan Shipyards is proud to be Canada’s long-term, strategic shipbuilding partner for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy. As a direct result of this work, while creating jobs and rebuilding our domestic shipbuilding industry, Seaspan Shipyards is delivering on the promise of ships built in Canada, by Canadians.
Vancouver Shipyards, based in North Vancouver, has a very busy and exciting year ahead, as we continue to make progress on the first of two 174m long Joint Support Ships (JSS) for the Royal Canadian Navy – the largest ships ever built in Canada! We are also constructing an Offshore Oceanographic Science Vessel (OOSV) for the Canadian Coast Guard and have secured significant contracts to build a second JSS, a Polar Icebreaker and several Multi-Purpose Vessels. These projects will bring long-term job stability for many years to come.
Now is the best time to be part of Canada’s shipbuilding industry! Join us and be part of the regeneration of the shipbuilding tradition and become a member of a talented, diverse team that is forging a bright future for Canadian shipbuilding at one of the most modern shipyards in North America.
Please send us your resume today!
The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skills, and ability required to succeed:
- Apply coatings by operating conventional spray systems, airless spray systems, and plural spray systems. Proficient in the application and use of plural spray systems preferred.
- Safely operate various types of equipment and tools such as blast pots, spray guns, airless spray systems, sandblasting tools and equipment and rust removal hand and pneumatic tools
- Spray with the consistent thickness, as well as apply paint with brush and roll
- Apply epoxy, polyurethane, and high solids coatings, etc
- Knowledge of various blasts methods and processes (wet & dry blast)
- Mixing of paints as per manufacture instructions
- Operate and maintain spray equipment when not pushing paint through, line and guns blockages, and general equipment troubleshooting
- Apply masking materials to protect designated areas from paint and over spray
- Ability to understand and read and interpret material safety and datasheet. An understanding of drawings, sketches, and/or blueprints is a benefit
- Apply masking materials to protect designated areas from the abrasive blasting
- Meet environmental requirements and best Shipyard practices in acquisition, application, removal, and disposal of paint, paint waste, or residuals in accordance with all requirements and federal and province laws
- Perform other related duties as required
Education & Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent vocational education
- Minimum 2 years of coatings related experience in shipbuilding and/or industrial industries
- Knowledge/experience with industrial high performance coatings is a benefit
- Knowledge/experience of modern shipbuilding process and terminology is a benefit
- Ability to read engineering/masking drawings and specifications is a benefit
- Possess knowledge of (SSPC/NACE) coating standards
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually with a positive attitude
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Disclaimers : By applying, you agree that Seaspan may share your resume with our Union partner, Marine and Shipbuilders Union Local 506.
Note : Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.