Supervisor, Detail Design
Under the direction of the Director of Detail Design and based on the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS), the Supervisor, the Detail Design is responsible for developing and maintaining of the detailed Detail Design operations plans. Key responsibilities include the development and maintenance of the detailed design operational plans, collecting weekly actuals, assessment of team performance metrics to identify trends / variations / forecasts to support decision making. Also, the Supervisor, Detail Design, will act as the point of contact with Planning department and will manage and coordinate all communication and data exchange required to support the IMS regular updates.
Under the direction of the Director the Supervisor, Detail Design is responsible for developing and maintaining the applicable detail design planning capabilities (process and tools, internal performance metrics).
The Supervisor, Detail Design works with the Detail Design Managers and Leads to develop resource plans, generate resource profiles to assess the requirements vs design capacity and propose solutions to mitigate potential gaps.
This role is also responsible for collaborating closely with external partner design teams to ensure that the detail design deliverables are delivered in accordance with the IMS.
This role has no direct reports.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 2 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver, V7P 2R2
- Provides comprehensive planning leadership expertise. Provides support to establish discipline budgets and plans based on team previous experience and performance.
- Based on IMS, develops and maintains departmental detailed operational plans.
- Collaborates with Detail Design Managers and Leads to collect, build, and maintain teams resource profiles; assess teams capacity vs requirements and highlight the potential variations that can’t be mitigated using scheduling techniques.
- Collects weekly actuals for schedule updates, assess performance vs plan and report deviations; submit the necessary data to Planning department for IMS updates.
- Assess weekly / monthly EAC metrics and report to Detail Design Director and Managers on team performance, trends, forecasts and / or variations that require further assessment and / or mitigation actions.
- Prepares and distributes weekly project status reports to maintain awareness of operation schedule issues and changes within projects.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business.
- 10 years planning/scheduling experience in industrial engineering environment, a minimum of 5 years of shipbuilding experience is required.
- Certification by an accredited society in Planning, Production Control and/or Project Management is highly desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Sophisticated technical knowledge and engineering skills. Extensive knowledge of shipbuilding design with a detailed understanding of the relationship between engineering design activities, procurement, and production.
- Strong knowledge of schedule development and EVM methodology. Proficiency working with independent planning systems as Primavera P6 and Microsoft Project.
- Demonstrates effective leadership and influencing skills and practices.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently to develop solutions to scheduling problems.
- Strong analytical skills to capture and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written reports.
- Extensive knowledge of document control systems and databases.
- Good organizational skills including the ability to maintain organization in a changing environment, multi-task and establish priorities.
- Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- PC proficiency required. Extensive knowledge of Primavera, Microsoft Project, Power BI, SharePoint, etc.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to comply with all safety laws and the employer's safety policies and rules.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.