Senior Detail Designer - Outfit
The Senior Detail Designer is responsible for completing outfitting design assignments on new construction and repair projects at Vancouver Shipyards. Under the direction of the Manager, Outfit Detail Design; the Senior Detail Designer participates in all phases of new construction design projects including 3D model and drawing development, design preparations, engineering support, design execution, and design close-out activities.
This role is also responsible for liaison with internal and external partner design teams to ensure that the overall ship design is produced in accordance with the engineering input information and the production design standards and procedures.
- To lead and supervise the design being produced for outfitting and joinery content of the ship design
- Allocate design/drafting work to team members. Ensure that personnel work within their competencies and with appropriate supervision
- Supports the Manager, Outfit Detail Design by providing mentorship and guidance to other intermediate and junior engineers, designers, or subcontractors in the areas of outfit engineering and design
- Provides design discipline expertise preparing and reviewing design and functional packages to ensure functional design requirements are met.
- Develops and/or reviews design drawings for fisheries, icebreaking, and naval replenishment vessels in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Preparation of 3D models and design drawings based on engineering information, site data and client requirements
- Performs trade studies both formal and informal to determine the most cost-effective solutions to design problems and meet material budgets for systems assigned. Finds opportunities to reduce material and labour costs below budget.
- Develops material specifications and bills of material in accordance with Seaspan material strategies and customer requirements.
- Represents the company to industry to develop understanding of Seaspan’s involvement in FFR and continue to build our reputation.
- Ensure appropriate design methods are used and that appropriate design checks are undertaken
- Correspond with clients, contractors, and others as required
- Actively encourage and support a safety-oriented culture
Education and Experience
- Diploma or Degree in a related subject area including naval architecture, civil or structural engineering, mechanical engineering, production engineering, industrial engineering, or engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years engineering design and drafting experience in outfitting shipbuilding field or a multidiscipline combination structure/outfitting/joinery.
- Experience working with classification society requirements
- Previous shipyard experience is highly desired; marine industry experience is preferred.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of marine outfitting design, including detailed knowledge of shipbuilding and production standard methodologies.
- Knowledge of the following ship types is considered a strong asset: research vessels, fishing vessels, icebreakers, naval auxiliary vessels.
- Experience with Icebreakers would be an asset.
- Proven ability to work independently to develop solutions to sophisticated technical problems.
- Above average analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems a plus.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD is required.
- Extensive knowledge of 3D CAD software required. Experience with CADMATIC would be an asset.
- Good organizational skills.
- Above average communication skills including written, verbal, listening and presentation are required.
- Availability and willingness to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to follow all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules.
- Exercise good judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the crucial job functions.
- PC proficiency required. Working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.