Area Manager, Outfitting
The Area Manager works with the Senior Director, Operations and is responsible for managing and directing all production activities within a specific area. The position must ensure safety, quality, cost and schedule consistency of the blocks and zones within the area in order to contribute to efficient operations. This position will require daily liaison with Safety, Quality & Accuracy Control, and Trade Personnel.
- Verifies completion of production work for each phase of the block/zone. Conducts vital inspections and reports results to senior management.
- Responsible for the safety of all employees working in assigned Area.
- Implements HSEQ plans on shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity.
- Handles and coordinates work and schedules with General Supervisors, subcontractors and vendors within Area.
- Ensures schedules are managed to current installation methods and technologies in order to complete work with minimal disruption to other SOC activities.
- Monitors and reports safety, quality, cost and schedule performance for all work in assigned Area and advises senior management if deviations are anticipated. Initiates timely corrective action plans required to maintain overall schedule alignment.
- Provides feedback to Trade Manager for trade improvements (related to training, equipment or process) vital for efficient build strategy implementation.
- Coordinates investigation of workplace incidents and ensures Drug & Alcohol Checklist and testing are completed when required.
- Works with Supply Chain to resolve material, quality and schedule issues.
- Leads by example and demonstrates Seaspan's Core Values.
- Active daily management and maintenance of Seaspan Production Systems.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- College degree or trades certification. Multi-Ticketed is an asset.
- Minimum 6 years of related work experience in an industrial maintenance environment, or advanced education in a related field with 4 years related work experience.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory and employee relations experience in a unionized environment.
- In-depth knowledge of production responsibilities specific to shipbuilding (welding, metal fabrication, electrical, pipefitting, Material Handling, mechanical, rigging).
Skills and Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills and the ability to empower and work with and through others to achieve desired results.
- Excellent written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Strong Time Management skills and dedication to follow through.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships and lead others towards a shared goal.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiations skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bringing a problem-solving demeanour to conflicting approaches.
- Dedication to safety and quality, and demonstrated experience in the application of behavioural based safety.
- Ability to make mature and timely job site decisions.
- Proficiency with MS Office products and web-based applications.
- Experience with CMMS programs.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.