General Supervisor - Paint Ship Completion
The General Supervisor (Paint) is responsible for managing teams of multi-discipline trades workers, resolves staffing requirements, and coordinates work assignments within an assigned Area. This individual is responsible for ensuring all work is carried out in accordance with shipyard safety, quality, and environment standards, policies and procedures.
To ensure standards are met the General Supervisor will regularly check on performance, conduct performance management tasks, including but not limited to: disciplining trades employees, approving trade employee time cards, trade employee leave requests and ensuring the collective agreement is applied appropriately. The position reports directly to an Area Manager or SOC Manager and requires significant interaction with Trade Managers.
- Assumes accountability for safety, cost, schedule and quality performance in area of responsibility.
- Implements and enforces Seaspan's health, safety, environmental and quality processes on the shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity.
- Responsible for delivering product and customer quality standards.
- Allocates labour force accordingly with schedule and priorities, assigning work to trade employees with the skill and ability to efficiently complete scheduled work.
- Follows and implements the collective agreement and standard methodologies to lead trades employees effectively.
- Responsible for discipline, including performance and attendance management, termination of employment and assigning or removing chargehand responsibilities of trades employees.
- Partners with Trade Development Managers to ensure trade employees have the skills, equipment, training and certifications required to perform planned work activities.
- Responsible for interpreting work order specifications and manufacturing information by ensuring work orders are completed, keeping updated on standards, changes in plans and provision of materials.
- Assists in the determining of work plans, sequences and schedules and may be required to assist in preparing estimates.
- Investigates workplace incidents and completes Drug & Alcohol checklists and testing as required.
- Responsible for timekeeping administration and approval for both direct and indirect reports.
- Ensures work crews minimize waste expense and unnecessary delays in construction or repair work.
- Works with Management to eliminate inefficient work practices and promotes continuous process improvement ("CPI") daily.
- Collaborates with front line supervision to establish daily and weekly goals and holds employees accountable for performance.
- Reports internally on work process and status to Area Managers and/or SOC Managers.
- Raises technical trade issues and implements solutions as identified.
- Promotes a work environment that is respectful and harassment-free.
- Works collaboratively with Trade Development Managers, HSE, Quality, Human Resources and the Employee Relations teams as required.
- Leads by example and demonstrates Seaspan's core values.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Must have Red Seal and trades certifications
- Minimum 5 years of related trades work experience outside of any trades apprenticeship or educational program.
- A minimum of an additional 3 years of previous supervisory experience in a heavy industrial environment, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing (welding, metal fabrication, electrical, pipefitting, paint/sandblasting, mechanical, rigging, etc.).
Skills, Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Strong written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Time management and organization skills with a proven dedication to follow-up and follow-through.
- Ability to empower others, lead change, have difficult conversations and administer discipline when required.
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bringing a problem-solving demeanour to conflicting approaches and priorities.
- Ability to build effective working relationships and collaborate with others towards a shared goal.
- Dedication to safety and quality, with experience in the application of behavioural based safety.
- Appreciation and understanding of the value of diversity within a team.
- Proficiency with MS Office products and web-based applications
Seaspan has a Vaccination Status Policy setting out our expectations regarding the collection of vaccination status information. Under the Policy, all employees and individual contractors working at Seaspan are required to report their vaccination status. Upon hire, new employees and contractors will be requested to provide documentation verifying their vaccination status.
We strongly encourage all our employees to be vaccinated. While we are not mandating vaccinations at this time, it is our hope that all employees will support workplace safety efforts by becoming vaccinated and sharing their vaccination status with us.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.