Lab Technician, Welding and Materials Testing
The Lab Technician is responsible for sampling and performance of tests, preparing reports and support scheduling for welding procedure qualification as well as failure analysis samples in the Centre of Excellence (COE). Moreover, the Lab Technician shall provide metallurgical testing support for quality assessment as required by the production team at Vancouver Shipyards (VSY). This role will support all three Seaspan Shipyards.
This includes performing mechanical tests as well as macro and microstructural analysis and providing technical reports based on applicable standards. The position keeps service records for all lab equipment and follow up for their annual calibration and other maintenance services.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 2 Pemberton Avenue,North Vancouver, V7P 2R2
Duties and Accountabilities
- Maintain and support safety as the first responsibility, prepare laboratory safety briefings and a safe working lab.
- Responsible for timely and accurate test sampling and coupon preparation in accordance with applicable code/standard
- Coordinating with machine shops to prepare testing specimens based on codes and standards
- Conduct mechanical and metallurgical tests as assigned and assist with implementation and introduction of new welding procedures and processes
- Prepare test reports required by codes and standards requirements.
- Operate equipment as needed for sample preparation and destructive testing.
- Accurate timekeeping and cost accounting to charge to appropriate work orders and projects. Assist with budgeting exercises including budget forecasting
- Constantly monitor shipyard’s QMS most updated SOP’ and communications for execution of test and preparation of test reports.
- Working actively with quality assurance department to establish and maintain quality certifications.
- Implement all required steps for calibration and service of lab equipment. Maintain calibration procedures and calibration records for all lab equipment.
- Continually develop and improve the lab capabilities.
- Other duties such as inspection, supporting welding engineering and NDE as assigned
Education and Experience
- Minimum grade 12 education.
- A diploma in Welding Engineering Technology is preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in a welding industry, preferably in the welding lab and testing.
- CSA W178.2 level 1 or 2 Welding Inspector certification (or international equivalent) is considered an asset
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of welding processes including shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), flux cored arc welding (FCAW), metal cored arc welding (MCAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), submerged arc welding (SAW), gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), and stud welding.
- Knowledge of welding metallurgy and material properties
- Working knowledge of CSA W47.1, W59, W47.2, W59.2, AWS, ASTM, ASME and their ISO equivalents as well as class rules like DNV, Lloyd’s, ABS and so on.
- Knowledge of non-destructive testing (NDE) such as VT, LPI, MPI, RT and UT.
- Relevant metallurgical Laboratory, Non-destructive testing, metallography and/or machine shop experience.
- Astute attention to detail and must take pride in their work.
- Strong desire and initiative to learn and master new skills.
- Demonstrated competence in evaluating weld test specimens including bend tests, macro-etch specimens, tensile tests, Charpy V-notch, etc.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal with experience in writing technical reports.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Exposure to databases and experience with data management software would be highly regarded.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Ability to obtain Industrial Security
- Must be physically fit and capable of repeated lifts of 20 Kgs
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.