Detail Design Area Lead
The Detail Design Area Lead (Area Lead) is responsible for managing and coordinating the design team's effort for 3D model development and extraction of complete Manufacturing Information (MI) to support production at VSY for an assigned area of the ship.
The Area Lead will manage and coordinate the Discipline Leads/teams, other Area Leads, and subcontracted teams to ensure that the 3D Model developed is complete, fully integrated and clash/error free and that the associated MI is generated following yard quality requirements for the assigned area. This role will also be responsible for coordinating the 3D Model and MI Reviews for the assigned area.
These responsibilities ensure that the goals and objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed plans, schedules, and budgets. The role exists within a matrix organization with the Area Lead working with the Detail Design Project Manager and has direct reports when assigned to projects.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver. #LI-HN1 #LI-ONSITE
What you'll do
- Leads the overall definition of the design scope, resource demand, and budget for the assigned area working closely with the discipline leads and project manager.
- Leads the multi-discipline design teams to produce an integrated 3D model, Manufacturing Information (MI), material specifications and/or BOM reports for the assigned design area.
- Responsible for cost, schedule and quality of the scope execution, reporting up to the project manager.
- Responsible for coordinating and integrating with other area leads to ensure a complete and integrated whole ship model.
- Drives collaboration and integration with relevant collaborators (e.g., Functional Engineering, Detail Design Subcontractors, Planning, Procurement, Production, etc.)
- Ensures the design teams overall alignment to yard quality requirements for 3D Model, MI content, configuration management, etc.
- Responsible for overall multi-discipline technical coordination and design integration for assigned area. Liaison with Platform Integration Manager, Engineering Leads, Detail Design Area/Discipline Leads, and other relevant collaborators to resolve major and significant multi-discipline design issues.
- Provides organizational leadership and technical direction for CAD modelling, design standards and overall process design improvements.
- Actively engages in subcontractor management when required by monitoring monitors schedule performance, quality, and cost metrics and trends to identify and mitigate potential risks.
- Travel required for on-site support and management at subcontractors’ offices during the detail design phase of the project
- Actively encourages and supports a safety-oriented culture.
- Improves the work environment by promoting teamwork, wellness, actively embracing diversity, modelling inclusive behaviours, and increasing leadership engagement.
What you'll bring
- Marine Engineering degree or equivalent required.
- 10 years of multidiscipline ship design experience. Experience leading and coordinating diverse multicultural design teams.
- Strong multidiscipline technical knowledge
- Knowledge of CAD software and document control systems. Cadmatic is an asset.
- Familiarity with the National Shipbuilding Strategy program an asset
Why you'll love working here
- This is a full-time, permanent position. With multiple operations and long-term project. Seaspan employees enjoy job stablity as we look ahead to build ships for decades to come.
- In addition to an annual bonus and pension plan matching, this role provides you a very competitive salary in line with the successful candidate’s experience.
- We also provide a best-in-class health and wellness benefits package for this position, including such things as full health care (e.g. unlimited physiotherapy), dental, vision, life insurance, medical leave coverage, maternity and parental leave coverage, childcare benefit partnership, wellness/fitness reimbursement for memberships or registration fees, and an Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Free on-site gym (insert in the benefits package sentence if this role is based out of Pemberton office)
- Parking is included and to assist those that are using transit, we operate a complimentary shuttle bus Monday through Friday with various pick up and drop off points around North Vancouver.
Seaspan Shipyards: Seaspan Shipyards is one of North America’s most modern shipyards and unique in its ability to provide a complete range of services including new construction, conversion, refit, repair and life-cycle maintenance work for Canada’s Coast Guard and Navy as well as commercial vessels including cruise-ships and deep-sea vessels. Seaspan Shipyards operations include Vancouver Shipyards, Vancouver Drydock and Victoria Shipyards.
To learn more, visit our website: www.seaspan.com
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.