Senior NDT Technician
NDE Technician performs NDTs on welds or parts as per requests originated by production or QC and approved by NDE supervisor. The position ensures specifications, class rules, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and work instructions are followed/met at each stage of construction. The successful candidate will perform daily in-process NDE inspections to identify non-conformities with contract requirements, develop corrective actions and communicate requirements to shop personnel. This role might be requested to support afternoon shift team and/or support NDT coordination when required.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver. #LI-CV1 #LI-ONSITE
- Performs daily in-process or final NDE of work. Documents and communicates results to responsible supervisors.
- Reviews NDT requests and results to make sure specifications, class rules, work instructions and SOPs requirements have been met for each NDT.
- Ensures non-destructive tests completed in accordance with approved procedures, NDT plan or QC/engineering requirements.
- Weekly review of NDT metrics and database and submit verified information to other departments.
- Attends formal inspections with customers and regulatory bodies if required. Documents all non-conformities and provides results to responsible supervisors and the Quality Department.
- Works with trade and area supervisors/managers to improve in-process quality.
- Performs gap analyses of work instructions and SOPs for trade specific systems. Communicates results to respective area and assists in modifying or adding work instructions and SOPs as required.
- Performs periodic audits of suppliers to ensure compliance with contract requirements.
- Coordinating between production, QC and NDT service provider to make sure NDT requests with sufficient information submitted to NDE service provider.
Education and Experience
- Current valid CGSB MT and UT level II is required .
- Minimum 5 years detailed experience working as a Welding QC inspector/coordinator – Structure and Piping.
- Any other CGSB Level II Certification is desirable.
- CWB CSA W178.2 level 1 or 2 Welding Inspector certification (or AWS CWI to receive CWB certification) is desirable.
- Relevant trade experience is desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Detailed understanding of the fabrication, installation, commissioning and testing of trade specific systems
- Solid understanding of quality control and inspection procedures
- Proven ability to read and understand manufacturing/shop drawings
- Proven ability to develop Quality Plans and Inspection and Test Plans
- Strong technical skills including an understanding of quality techniques and their application
- Technical understanding of all common NDT techniques and their application to meet contract, regulatory and statutory requirements for trade specific systems.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong technical writing skills
- Customer service focus
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity
- Excellent digital literacy including Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook.
- Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve
- Good judgement and reasoning skills
- Ability to work with limited direction
- Ability to acquire Industrial Security
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.