Senior Specialist, Risk Management
The Senior Specialist, Risk Management plays a meaningful role in the deployment of processes, tool and resources to support the observance and execution of Seaspan’s Integrated Risk & Opportunity Management Program (IROMP) at Vancouver Shipyard (VSY), Victoria Shipyard (VSL) and Vancouver Drydock (VDC). The role is further intended to actively promote the awareness and importance of R&O management governance and drive a proactive R&O culture across all shipyards.
- Assist with the development of R&O management plans based on Enterprise or Project/ Program requirements, planning of the assessment of R&Os (including schedule and work groups composition), and preparation of draft / initial R&O registers and other related documentation
- Conduct R&O identification and actions planning session with collaborators using brainstorming, interviews, document reviews and workshop techniques with a gated approach through project life cycle on each phase, gate, and sub-gate as per the IROMP. Collate the information from the workshop into the R&O register and obtain sign-off.
- Ensure R&O descriptions and categorization are clearly defined in order to assist stakeholders in quantifying the risks and setting appropriate action plans
- Assist with R&O analysis to determine prioritization based on qualitative and/or quantitative assessment of pre & post mitigated impacts in accordance with R&OMP
- Assist stakeholders with the development of R&O response plans and ensure the actions meet the objective of growing the impact and probability of an opportunity or reducing the impact and likelihood of a threat.
- Conduct review of action plan progress & timelines on a monthly basis, engage with action owners to review and update the action status and adjust the completion date, if necessary.
- Production of monthly Program / Project R&O reports in accordance with contractual requirements pertaining to risk management and risk-related communication.
- Support the planning/estimating functions in the quantification of R&Os.
- Assists VP Program Management and the Director, Program Controls & Analysis in presenting and explaining R&O metrics and analysis of probable outcome.
- Coordinate and assist in various program R&Os control boards and meetings.
- Support weekly and monthly Risk review process for the monitoring, trending, variance analysis, forecasting and action tracking.
- Responsible for the configuration of the Risk Management Tool
- Other tasks, as directed.
Education and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering or Project Management.
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP) certification and Professional Engineer (P.Eng) designation will be an asset.
- 10 years of progressing and relevant experience in Risk Management or Program Management in a complex multi-project or program environment, preferably in Shipbuilding industry.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Strong customer service orientation, a self-starter, and takes initiative.
- Ability to collaborate closely with internal customers.
- Accuracy and a keen attention to details
- Ability to present persuasively and optimally
- Knowledge of key project management processes: risk, planning, contract organizational change.
- Strong problem-solving skills (both qualitative and quantitative).
- Excellent digital literacy including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project and Primavera P6.
- Strong oral and written communications, including the ability to communicate with others with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong attention to detail; and strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure while being adaptable and open-minded to change and improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Strong customer service focus and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a team member.
- Successful applicant must meet requirements for Canadian Government Security clearance.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.