Business Location: Vancouver Shipyards, 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver, B.C.
Under the direction of the Director, Test and Trials, the Principal Test Specialist is responsible to support shipboard commissioning and testing activities of various systems on new building vessels at Vancouver Shipyards. This includes working together with the test and trials team to achieve planned activities in accordance with project schedule. This role guides and coordinates unionized employees and sub-contractors, working closely with other VSY departments, Canadian Coast Guard, Royal Canadian Navy and Classification Society during planning and commissioning phases.
- Responsible for the safe operation of all ship’s systems from initial energization to final acceptance.
- Take a lead role on a designated new building project and coordination with respective partners throughout the construction period.
- Maintain close collaboration with the Project Management, Engineering, Requirements and Acceptance, Client and Classification Society during development and review process of test and commissioning documentation.
- Develop and define comprehensive commissioning paths and communicate these to Detailed Planning.
- Participate in regular working group meetings and department meetings.
- Maintain a close working relationship with Production, Quality and Safety personnel to ensure that systems/equipment being handed over for testing/commissioning meet the required standard without undue need for rework.
- Carry out inspections, tests, set to work and commissioning of systems and equipment in accordance with the relevant documentation and associated referenced documentation, carrying out fault diagnosis and proposing corrective actions.
- Ensure all procedures, tools and documentation required for the testing, trials, and commissioning activities for completing the new building are available, and all the activities are carried out safely, promptly, and efficiently.
- Identify and record defects/deficiencies during commissioning and test phase and follow up as required.
- Report progress of commissioning activities to the Director, Test & Trials, to ensure that concerns are identified and addressed, and that compliance to schedules to maintained and/or contingency plans are developed.
- Stay onboard during the sea trial period and travel to Victoria Shipyard if required for commissioning/testing onboard.
- Overseeing and ensuring compliance with WorkSafeBC, Seaspan Site Safety Procedures and all other relevant Health and Safety directives.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marine, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or a combination of professional education or certifications and experience pertaining to the specific skills required for the position will be considered.
- 10+ years of experience in a marine environment including operations, new ship building commissioning, ship survey and inspection.
- Experience in new building commissioning and testing & trials projects.
- A Marine Engineering Certificate of Competency would be an added advantage.
- Must be familiar with the safe operation and working features of all ship’s systems and be conversant in testing and commissioning of all ship propulsion, including electric, electronic, simple combat systems equipment and systems.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstration of outstanding business ethics, integrity, and honesty in all situations.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High levels of initiative.
- Ability to work with and coordinate the activities of people, with attention and energy focused on prioritizing various activities to meet schedules and to completing projects within their allotted budgets.
- Strong customer service orientation. Exhibited abilities to understand and translate customer needs into feasible work plans.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, verbal and written.
- Proficient computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Language Requirements: English
Terms of Employment: Permanent, full-time
Salary Range: $125,000 - $135,000
Seaspan will provide you with a rewarding and challenging career building state-of-the-art ships, and an attractive remuneration package with pension contributions, bonus programs, extended medical benefits, dental care, vision care, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program, as well as free 24-7 access to the company fitness facility for all permanent employees.
For more information, please contact email@example.com