Manager, Stakeholder & Community Relations
Participating as a lead member of the strategy and business development team, the Manager, Community Relations is responsible for developing and implementing the strategy and corresponding plan to meet Seaspan Shipyards’ overall business objectives across VSY, VDC and VSL.
Seaspan Shipyards operates in a number of communities where there are important stakeholders that make decisions that have a significant impact on Seaspan Shipyards’ business. These stakeholder decisions come in several categories including a wide range of permitting for regulatory requirements (buildings, port, environment etc.), along with longer-term business issues such as employee transportation and housing. The focus of this position is to build a strategy and corresponding plan that maximizes the likelihood that decisions are made that support Seaspan Shipyards’ requests or objectives in both the short and long terms.
Important stakeholder organizations in our community include municipal governments (District of North Vancouver, City of North Vancouver, Township of Esquimalt, City of Colwood, City of Victoria), and regulators (Port of Vancouver, Metro Vancouver, Capital Regional District, Greater Victoria Harbours Authority), along with influencers on these organizations such as community leaders, residents and businesses adjacent to our operations.
The Manager leads and is accountable for the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic, tactical and operational stakeholder and community engagement plans, programs and projects to align with Seaspan Shipyards’ vision, goals, direction and business objectives. The Manager advises the senior leadership team on engagement status, strategies and emerging issues to support strategic decision making.
Serving as Seaspan’s day-to-day representative for local Stakeholder and Community Relations, the Manager personally develops, manages and maintains strong relationships with specific stakeholders and manages/coordinates Seaspan individuals who interface with other local stakeholders. The Manager participates in relevant community boards and committees, attends relevant community events and leads Seaspan Shipyards’ involvement in community investment and events.
To achieve the organization’s strategic priorities, the Manager will work closely and collaboratively with Seaspan Shipyards’ Government Relations, Communications and Strategy functions along with appropriate Seaspan Shipyards’ businesses.
Duties and Accountabilities
Strategy and Planning:
- Engage with Seaspan Shipyards’ businesses to determine Community Relations objectives that support overall business objectives.
- Identify key stakeholder organizations and the individual stakeholders in those organizations who make or heavily influence decisions that are important to Seaspan Shipyards, including local elected officials, senior municipal staff, and senior staff within regulating bodies.
- Build a direct engagement plan including individual strategies for key stakeholders to form baseline sustained relationships that can be leveraged when required.
- Build a broad community engagement plan including but not limited to communications, advertising, sponsorship, investment designed to positively impact stakeholders
- Review and achieve approval for Community Relations strategy and plan from Seaspan Shipyards’ senior leadership team.
- Regularly directly engage with key stakeholders as per the direct engagement plan to build sustained strong relationships.
- Work closely with Seaspan Shipyards’ Senior Leadership Team to implement direct engagement plan including coordinating/managing regular engagements to build sustained strong relationships.
- Manage the implementation of the broad community engagement plan leveraging and working closely with other necessary Seaspan Shipyards’ functions including Communications, Government Relations and Business Development.
- Represent Seaspan in the community and region. Identify strategic opportunities for community engagement and to develop community partnerships and relationships.
- Manage day-to-day tactical issues with key decision makers in community stakeholder organizations.
- Draft, contribute to and coordinate correspondence, presentations and formal policy submissions to community stakeholders and key decision makers.
- Guide, manage and lead Seaspan Shipyards’ sponsorships and investments in the community.
- Manage Seaspan Shipyards’ community events with support from Communications.
- Attend community events and participate in community-focused committees that are relevant to Seaspan Shipyards or to the stakeholder organizations or as broader Seaspan Shipyards representation.
- Serve as the Community Relations on-site go-to for municipalities and community organizations for operations-related issues such as health and safety, fire alarms, environmental concerns and crisis management that potentially impact surrounding community.
- Participate in public relations and communication activities in BC in support of community relations efforts and to enhance the company’s image with the general public. Working with Communications, oversee development of regionally focused press releases and other external communications material and assets.
- Coordinate with Seaspan Shipyards’ Indigenous Strategy and Plan particularly as it intersects with the Community Relations strategy and plan
- Support other Seaspan functions including Government Relations, Communications, Business Development, etc. as required
- Develop metrics and/or critical success factors to evaluate the value of stakeholder engagement activities across the organization.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of professional experience in government relations, communications and/or, community engagement whether in the public or private sectors.
- University degree in a related discipline (e.g., Business, Communications, Public Relations).
- Project management skills to lead, develop, plan, implement, monitor and evaluate projects. Professional project management certification preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills and judgment to interpret and assess information, determine significance and relevance, identify risk and opportunities, and recommend tactics and outreach initiatives.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to foster cooperation, build consensus, gain support and influence decision making and outcomes.
- Considerable experience working with diverse communities and audiences.
- Experience working in the shipbuilding industry or in a complex defense, manufacturing or construction industry.
- Ability to regularly and routinely attend meetings and other events in and around North Vancouver.
Skills and Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders and the ability to respond to stakeholder needs strategically and tactfully.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, superior oral and written capabilities, including the ability to build professional relationships with government stakeholders, community leaders and their staff.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to deliver strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Skilled at advocacy, influence, and persuasion, with the able to convince others to act on information or recommendations based on compelling logic or common best interests.
- Strong knowledge and expertise with Microsoft Office and similar enterprise software applications.
- Self-starter with good organizational skills who can work both independently and as a member of a team.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.