Project Manager, Detail Design
Under the direction of the Director of Detailed Design, Seaspan Shipyards (Director) the Project Manager, Detailed Design (PM) is responsible for the cost and schedule management of assigned design project. The PM is responsible for effectively leading the project VSY detailed design team and subcontracted resources to define and implement the project scope within the budget, schedule, and yard quality requirements. The role is defined within a matrix organization, the role report to Detailed Design Director and has direct reports when assigned to projects.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver. #LI-HN1 #LI-ONSITE
What you'll do
- Overall cost and schedule responsibility for the detailed design effort on the assigned project
- Provides comprehensive project management leadership expertise driving the development and review of proposals, scopes of work, and strategic project execution plans.
- Drives development and consolidation of detailed design budget estimates collecting inputs from Discipline Leads and Subcontractors while providing support to Project Engineering Manager (PEM) to establish program budgets to ensure contract design requirements are met.
- Responsible for coordinating the development of the detailed design schedule by collecting inputs from the Discipline Leads and Area Leads as well as the Functional Engineering Team and Planning/Production Teams
- Works closely with the Master Planning Team to ensure the overall design development strategy and schedule is aligned and integrated with the yard’s Integrated Master Schedule (IMS).
- Responsible for the development of a project resource plan and continuously works closely with the discipline leads and functional managers to ensure the project is staffed correctly to meet the scope and schedule needs
- Drives overall collaboration and integration with Detailed Design Subs, Planning, Procurement, and Production and leads the resolution and mitigation of issues to maintain cost and schedule alignment
- Actively works with discipline leads and supply chain in the monitoring and management of subcontractor’s performance on the project
- Monitors and identifies improvements with respect to working processes, tools, and training that can offer increased efficiency, responsiveness, and product quality.
- Communicates with relevant collaborators and senior leadership about the project performance for cost, schedule, quality, and risk. Proposes for review and approval of preventive/corrective actions to address potential undesired variations, drives for implementation of approved actions to address such variations
- Travels as required for on-site support and management at subcontractors’ offices during the detail design phase of the project
- Actively encourages and supports a safety-oriented culture.
- Improves the work environment by promoting teamwork, wellness, actively embracing diversity, modelling inclusive behaviours, and increasing leadership engagement.
What you'll bring
- Degree in Management and/or Engineering (or equivalent)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in managing complex major design projects involving diverse collaborators, experience in managing ship design projects an asset
- Minimum of 5 years of ship design and / or shipbuilding experience is required.
- Eligibility for P.Eng. EGBC status is preferred.
- PMP certification (or equivalent) an asset
Why you’ll love working here
- This is a full-time, permanent position. With multiple operations and long-term project. Seaspan employees enjoy job stablity as we look ahead to build ships for decades to come.
- In addition to an annual bonus and pension plan matching, this role provides you a very competitive salary in line with the successful candidate’s experience.
- We also provide a best-in-class health and wellness benefits package for this position, including such things as full health care (e.g. unlimited physiotherapy), dental, vision, life insurance, medical leave coverage, maternity and parental leave coverage, childcare benefit partnership, wellness/fitness reimbursement for memberships or registration fees, and an Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
Seaspan Shipyards: Seaspan Shipyards is one of North America’s most modern shipyards and unique in its ability to provide a complete range of services including new construction, conversion, refit, repair and life-cycle maintenance work for Canada’s Coast Guard and Navy as well as commercial vessels including cruise-ships and deep-sea vessels. Seaspan Shipyards operations include Vancouver Shipyards, Vancouver Drydock and Victoria Shipyards.
To learn more, visit our website: www.seaspan.com
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.