Engineer III, Outfitting
The Engineer III coordinates and completes engineering tasks within allocated systems design in compliance with schedule and budget specifications. The Engineer ensures integration of the systems into the ship and performance of the system through the ship delivery.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Contributes to the analysis of information, the specification of the methods, process steps, and the plant, machinery and equipment required to design and continuously improve manufacturing or materials processes and process systems, to deliver the end product within specified cost and quality parameters.
- Contributes to the design of engineering solutions; designs the feasibility testing approach and supervises its implementation to support the development and validation of engineering solutions.
- Contributes to the analysis of information, the drafting of engineering standards and specifications, and the evaluation of the effectiveness of those standards within own engineering field to advise engineering work in the organization and/or of its suppliers, contractors, and consultants.
- Carries out inspections to evaluate the quality of engineering works and / or the integrity of existing installations or structures, and specify the remedial works needed to ensure conformance with specifications and regulatory requirements.
- Delivers required outcomes by coordinating with suppliers and supply chain to receive, approve and integrate technical and commercial information to support detail design and supply chain and adhere to the overall schedule.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering subject area.
- 4-6 years of post-secondary experience in Engineering, preferably with knowledge of ship/maritime systems, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Engineer in Training designation with a recognized, accredited institution.
- Experience in coordinating the work of others.
- Experience working with a diversely integrated project team is considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
- Analytical skills to capture and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as a key part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
- Technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems is preferred.
- Understanding of ShipConstructor and ACAD software, document control systems and databases.
- Ability to work optimally across a multi-disciplined team.
- Critical thinker with the ability to analyze change requests, projects, and designs to anticipate schedule or budget risk.
- Ability to work without supervision and provide technical guidance on testing, evaluating and improving engineering outcomes.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to follow all safety laws and all the employer's safety policies and rules.
- Proficient computer skills. Working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.