Area Manager, Pipe - Joint Ship Support
Business Location: Vancouver Shipyards, 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver, B.C.Business Location: Vancouver Shipyards, 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver, B.C. #LI-JT1 #LI-ONSITE
The Area Manager, Pipe (JSS) works with the Trade Manager (Pipe) and is responsible for managing and directing all production activities within a specific Ship. The position must ensure safety, quality, cost and schedule alignment of the piping in blocks and zones within the defined area. This position will require daily liaison with Management, Safety, Quality & Accuracy Control, and Trade Personnel.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver.
- Verifies completion of pipefitting production work for each phase of the block/zone/ship. Conducts necessary inspections and reports results to senior management.
- Responsible for the safety of all employees working in assigned Ship.
- Implements HSEQ plans on shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity.
- Manages and coordinates work and schedules with Pipe General Supervisors, subcontractors and vendors within Ship.
- Ensures schedules are managed to current installation methods and technologies in order to complete work with minimal disruption to other SOC activities.
- Monitors and reports safety, quality, cost and schedule performance for all work in assigned Ship and advises senior management if deviations are anticipated. Initiates timely corrective action plans necessary to maintain overall schedule alignment.
- Coordinates assigned zone schedules with the Planning & Production Control Department by determining optimal sequencing of events in support of major vessel milestones.
- Provides recommendations to Pipe Trade Manager for trade improvements (related to training, equipment or process) necessary for optimal build strategy implementation.
- Supervises investigation of workplace incidents and ensures Drug & Alcohol Checklist and testing are completed when required.
- Works with Supply Chain to resolve material, quality and schedule issues.
- Active daily management and maintenance of Seaspan Production Systems.
- Directly manages and develops General Supervisors into a hard-working team.
- Directly manages Pipe General Supervisors.
- Monitors team performance, coaches General Supervisors, initiates and follows through on necessary improvements, and recognizes worker performance.
- Assists in the resolution of owner, regulatory body and statutory issues that arise during the construction period.
- Leads by example and demonstrates Seaspan’s Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Relevant trade certification or college diploma in relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience in Shipbuilding.
- Minimum 5 years of career progression in a supervisory position.
- In-depth knowledge of production responsibilities specific to heavy industry that would pertain to the shipbuilding industry (welding, pipefitting, mechanical, rigging).
Skills and Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills and the ability to empower and work with and through others to achieve desired results.
- Excellent written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Strong time management and organization skills with a proven commitment to follow-up and follow-through.
- Proven ability to build effective working relationships and lead others towards a shared goal.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiations skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bringing a problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches.
- Commitment to safety and quality, with demonstrated experience in the application of behavioural based safety.
- Ability to make mature and timely job site decisions.
- Proficiency with MS Office products, AutoCad and web-based applications
- Proficiency with Navisworks, P6 Primavera an asset.
- Management/Supervision in a unionized environment an asset.
- Manages and supports the adherence to the collective agreement regarding discipline.
- Employs coaching, corrective action and discipline to deal with issues and non-performance.
- Participates in the recruitment and selection process for new hires and ensures appropriate onboarding and training of new employees.
Language Requirements: English
Terms of Employment: Permanent, full-time
Salary Range: $120,000 - $140,000
Seaspan will provide you with a rewarding and challenging career building state-of-the-art ships, and an attractive remuneration package with pension contributions, bonus programs, extended medical benefits, dental care, vision care, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program, as well as free 24-7 access to the company fitness facility for all permanent employees.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.