Director of Information Technology (IT)
Job Grade - 9
Working with the Vice President, Business Technology Solutions, the Director of Information Technology (IT) provides leadership in using data and applying innovative technologies at Seaspan Marine Transportation to drive step function improvements in business performance. This role is similarly empowered for key Shared Services domains including HR and corporate Supply Chain. This role closely collaborates with senior business collaborators and technology delivery partners to find opportunities for innovation, develop and champion the change vision and deliver the associated initiatives and corresponding business results. Key to this role is the ability to facilitate and crystallize strategy development and then roll up the sleeves and turn it into concrete actions and delivery.
- Partners with senior leadership (VP and C-suite level) to identify and conceptualize the required technology and systems architecture required to deliver upon corporate objectives. Translates this vision into a multi-year roadmap and acquires leadership commitment to the priorities.
- Leads project management and governance activities across Seaspan Marine Transportation businesses, delivering business and systems change initiatives. Retains accountability for achieving overall scope, schedule and budget while partnering with business leadership to deliver the desired outcomes.
- Ensures that technology investment and innovation is supported by well thought-out and well implemented and supported business processes.
- Champions the stewardship and leverage of data as a critical and valuable business resource.
- Ensures the effective and efficient ongoing operational support of mission critical systems.
- Leads, develops and motivates hard-working multi-functional teams of technical and business resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, business or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, including 5 years’ experience in an information systems management or senior project delivery role.
- Experience conceptualizing and leading large-scale technology-enabled business change within a sophisticated business environment.
- Experience working within the marine transportation or the transportation and logistics industries.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Passionate about vessels and marine technologies.
- Proven ability to lead and empower in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong architectural mindset, capable of mapping out a vision for aligning and integrating systems and data to support business strategy and processes.
- Pragmatic and hands-on approach to execution.
- Outstanding service orientation and the ability to present ideas in business and user-friendly languages.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and oral), and negotiation skills.
- Encouraged by challenges, can-do attitude and overall positive approach to tackling difficult situations.
- Outstanding analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.