Job Grade - N/A
The Industry Training Authority (ITA) describes Qualified Painter/Decorators as individuals who apply paint, wallpaper, fabric and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They also repair cracks and holes in walls and prepare work surfaces by scraping, sanding, sand-blasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning. Painter & Decorators work on everything from home interiors, residential painting and wall covering work; to industrial tanks, conveyors and ship repair/ship building projects.
As a Painting Apprentice, you will be expected to practice and build on your knowledge of basic painting principles while ensuring that you are compliant with the Seaspan's health, safety, and environmental standards. Support and direction will be provided through supervisors, chargehands, and journeypersons. The primary goal of this position is to learn all facets of the trade through practical and educational venues which results in your successful completion to become a Red Seal Painter.
Painting apprentices who uphold Seaspan's core values and demonstrate initiative, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn will be successful in this role.
For more information of the Seaspan Apprenticeship Program, please visit https://www.seaspan.com/why-seaspan/.
- Prepare and paint vessels, barges and other commercial and industrial projects or structures using hand and air tools
- Mix and apply coatings using methods such as brush and roll, and airless and conventional spray painting
- Read and understand product data sheets and specifications
- Access jobs via elevated work platforms such as manlifts, ladders, stairs and/or scissor lifts, and scaffolding
- Access vessel compartments, including confined spaces (ie holds, tanks, voids) via manholes and vertical ladders
- Set up work area and organize equipment
- Operate paint spray guns, drill mixer, air power mixers, hand pallet jacks and forklifts
Education and Experience
- Minimum Grade 12 Education
- 6 months to 1 Year Painting Experience
- Trade related experience will be considered an asset
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Comprehend and follow written and spoken direction
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to problem solve and assess risk
- Good judgment and reasoning skills
- Perseverance and ambition
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity
- Ability to work in enclosed/confined spaces in awkward positions and at high elevations
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment or independently
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Please note, NO follow up CALLS PERMITTED. Due to the high volume of applications received, we will not be responding to direct enquiries regarding apprentice positions. We ask for your patience during the recruitment process. You will be contacted by Seaspan directly if you are successfully shortlisted for a position.
If you are experiencing IT issues, email email@example.com with a copy of your resume. Please reference the position and location you are applying to.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.