Senior Electronic Systems Engineer
Job Grade - 7
With new and expanding projects for the National Shipbuilding Strategy program, we are hiring a Senior Electronic Systems Engineer.
The Senior Electronic Systems Engineer is responsible for Electronics engineering on new construction projects at Vancouver Shipyards. Under the direction of the Manager, Electronic Systems Engineering at Vancouver Shipyards the Senior Electronic Systems Engineer participates in all phases of new construction design projects including requirements decomposition, design preparations, supporting analysis, material selection and specification, engineering execution, electrical and electronic schematics, and engineering close-out activities. These responsibilities ensure that engineering projects are accomplished to the complete satisfaction of the requirements.
This role is also responsible for liaison with internal and external partner design teams to ensure that the Electronics design is produced in accordance with the current equipment information and the production design standards and procedures. The position may have junior engineering direct reports and/or subcontracted engineering direct reports.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 50 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver. #LI-MT1 #LI-ONSITE
What you'll do
- Provides engineering and design expertise in assigned areas of Marine Electronic Systems by preparing design and calculation packages to ensure contract design requirements are met.
- Supports the Manager, Electronic Systems Engineering by providing mentorship and oversight to other junior engineers, designers, or subcontractors.
- Develops and/or reviews design documents for fisheries, icebreaking and naval replenishment vessels in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Develops material specifications and bills of material in accordance with Seaspan material strategies and customer requirements.
- Represents the company to industry to develop understanding of Seaspan’s involvement in Federal Fleet Renewal and continue to build our reputation.
- Provides technical direction to suppliers and subcontractors related to the Electronics Systems design to achieve contract, cost and schedule performance.
- Analyzes, defines and maintains customer, electronic systems comprising communication, navigation, networking and Flag/IMO regulatory requirements in a system engineering life cycle tool for one or many communications networks
- Based on requirements, develops and designs ship communication systems that also satisfies various build, cost, schedule, logistics and other non-technical constraints
- Analyzes an integrated communication network design from various perspectives, such as reliability, security, build-ability, maintainability, and more
- Based on a design, creates communication network configurations, which includes hard wired and wireless networks.
- Using system engineering processes verifies and validates electronic systems design (e.g. via documentation, testing, analysis, etc.)
- Builds and maintains technical documentation and strict configuration control of electronic systems.
- Evaluates existing third-party communications and navigation designs and their integration, such as development of interface definitions, RF interference, security assessment and more.
- Specifies and maintains hardware lists to support communication network designs, looking after various related issues, such as End-of-Life replacement, installation, qualification, etc.
- Supports and develops technical interfaces to other groups within the company.
- Prepares and implements design reviews in accordance with our system engineering process.
What you'll bring
- Graduate degree in engineering is required.
- P.Eng registration required.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a system engineering environment.
- Experience in developing electronic System Safety Analysis/Hazard Assessment.
- Experience in developing complete communication and navigation systems from concept to build.
- Experience in developing highly integrated electronic systems design.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
- Good understanding of the concepts of Electromagnetic Compatibility and Interference (EMC/EMI).
- Good understanding of Industry Standards such as IEC, STANAG, IEEE etc.
- Good grasp of methods on establishing compliance to Transport Canada Shipping Act, IMO and International Association of Classification Societies
- Ability to obtain a reliability security clearance.
- Above average analytical skills to capture and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Solid understanding of CAD software, document management systems and databases
- Good organizational skills
- Availability and willingness to travel with such frequency as the employer determines is vital or desirable to meet its business needs (estimated 10% travel per year)
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to align with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules
- Exercise good judgment and make decisions in a manner consistent with critical job functions
Why you'll love working here
- This is a full-time, permanent position. With multiple operations and long-term projects, Seaspan employees enjoy job stability as we look ahead to build ships for decades to come.
- Parking is included and to assist those that are using transit, we operate a complimentary shuttle bus Monday through Friday with various pick up and drop off points around North Vancouver.
- In addition to an annual bonus and pension plan matching, this role provides you a very competitive salary in line with the successful candidate’s experience.
- We also provide a best-in-class health and wellness benefits package for this position, including such things as full health care (e.g. unlimited physiotherapy), dental, vision, life insurance, medical leave coverage, maternity and parental leave coverage, childcare benefit partnership, wellness/fitness reimbursement for memberships or registration fees, free on-site gym and an Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
Seaspan Shipyards: Seaspan Shipyards is one of North America’s most modern shipyards and unique in its ability to provide a complete range of services including new construction, conversion, refit, repair and life-cycle maintenance work for Canada’s Coast Guard and Navy as well as commercial vessels including cruise-ships and deep-sea vessels. Seaspan Shipyards operations include Vancouver Shipyards, Vancouver Drydock and Victoria Shipyards.
To learn more, visit our website: www.seaspan.com
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.