Senior Outfit Engineer - (Steel outfits and carpentry/joiner works)
Job Grade - 7
The Senior Outfit Engineer - Steel outfits and carpentry/joiner works (internally job-titled as Senior Outfit Engineer) is responsible for carrying out Outfitting engineering assignments on new construction projects at Seaspan Shipyards. Under the direction of the Manager, Outfitting, the Senior Engineer, Outfitting participates in all phases of new construction design projects including: requirements decomposition, design preparations, supporting analysis, material selection and specification, engineering execution, and engineering close-out activities. These responsibilities ensure that engineering projects are accomplished to the complete satisfaction of the requirements.
- Provides engineering and design expertise in assigned areas of Marine Outfitting Systems including such elements and components as; fire protection systems, insulation systems, structural openings (doors, windows, maintenance holes, hatches), stairs & ladders, handrails and stanchions, paint, gratings, lifesaving equipment, cranes, winches, davits etc and joiner interior accommodation design, preparing design and calculation packages to ensure contract design requirements are met.
- Supports the Manager, Outfitting by providing mentorship and guidance to other junior engineers, designer or subcontractors.
- Develops and/or reviews design documents various types of vessels (including but not limited to fisheries, oceanographic, icebreaking, multipurpose and naval replenishment vessels) in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Performs trade studies, both formal and informal to determine the most efficient solutions to engineering problems and meet material budgets for systems assigned.
- Finds opportunities to reduce material costs below budget.
- Develops material specifications and bills of material in accordance with Seaspan material strategies and customer requirements.
- Represents the company to industry to develop understanding of Seaspan’s involvement in NSS and continue to build our reputation.
- Provide direction to suppliers and subcontractors related to the Marine Systems design to achieve contract, cost and schedule performance.
- Provides professional advice, recommendations and support on all outfitting issues and acts with proactive foresight to providing solutions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture, Marine, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering subject area is required.
- P.Eng. EGBC status or E.I.T. Status and able to apply for P.Eng. within a year.
- 10 or more years post-secondary experience working in Marine Outfit Engineering field is vital.
- Previous Shipyard experience is required.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Technical knowledge and engineering skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to develop solutions to sophisticated technical problems.
- Above average analytical skills to capture and analyze/synthesise data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems a plus.
- Solid understanding of ShipConstructor and ACAD software, document control systems and databases desired.
- Good organizational skills.
- Above average communication skills including written, verbal, listening and presentation are required.
- Availability and willingness to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is vital or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to align with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules.
- Exercise good judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the crucial job functions.
- PC proficiency required. Solid understanding of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.