Engineer I, Lift & Turn
Job Grade - 3
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 2 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver, V7P 2R2
- Provides engineering design in assigned areas of structural design by preparing and reviewing design calculation packages to ensure safety design requirements are met
- Ensures strength calculation are done to accommodate shipyard facilities as it relates to heavy lift/transport
- Work closely with Lift and Turn Team
- Supports load out / load ins / dockings across businesses
- Provides engineering support in way of facility upgrades
- Provides general structural, rigging, heavy lift and heavy transport engineering service (drawings and calculations)
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture, Marine or Mechanical Engineering is required.
- Required 6 months to 3 years working in Heavy Lift or Structural Engineering.
- Basic understanding of Heavy Lift operation and Loadout experience.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
- P.Eng. EGBC status or E.I.T. Status and able to apply for P.Eng. within a year.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Basic Knowledge of structural design, including detailed knowledge of structural connections and production standard methodologies.
- Basic Knowledge of the following ship types is considered a strong asset: research vessels, fishing vessels, icebreakers, naval auxiliary vessels.
- Above average technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
- Good understanding of ACAD software, document control systems and databases desired.
- Good understanding of Ship Constructor software desired.
- Familiar with Finite Element Analysis and National Structural Codes
- Good understanding of Multiframe, Ansys or equivalent structural analysis software
- Good organizational skills.
- Above average interpersonal skills including written, verbal, listening and presentation are required.
- Committed to a standard of safety and able to align with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules.
- Assisting Senior structural Engineering during Block lift in the yard.
- PC proficiency required. Solid understanding of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.